Tell who did you PAY to include Akonadi?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Mar 31 07:31:58 BST 2012

KDE lover but not user posted on Sat, 31 Mar 2012 06:59:04 +0400 as
excerpted:

> Akonadi, strigi, virtuoso and nepomuk. There are more words of "this
> cool feature" then even about base apps.
> I only need Kwin, Dolphin and Kate. Why do I need face these warriors
> when i only need to read and write text? No more text? Only features?
> For whom?
> Forums are full of disabling, changing executable permission, deleting
> and words "Disaster".

FWIW, I run gentoo here, and as long as you're not using any kdepim apps
(which due to deps, some at the kde and some at the gentoo level,
requires akonadi, which in turn forces on gentoo's USE=semantic-desktop
and with it, nepomuk, virtuoso, etc), it's possible to set USE=-semantic-
desktop and build without all that cpu and memory hogging junk.

Ironically, it was only after the kmail akonadification persuaded me to
get off it (claws-mail now) and all kdepim apps entirely (akregator was
the other one I used, again claws-mail now, with the feed plugin),
allowing me to kill akonadi and then the whole semantic-desktop, that I
really began to seriously appreciate and fully enjoy the rest of kde4, to
the same extent that I had kde3.5.7+.  Ironic, because the semantic-
desktop stuff was one of the big headline features of kde4...

kde4 runs WAY faster with all that semantic-desktop stuff not only
disabled, but entirely configured out at build-time.  Seriously, I had
forgotten what a fast and responsive desktop was, and I rather felt like
the MSWormOS users do after finding out how much resources either the
viruses or their scan-on-use AV was using, and how much it was slowing
down the system!  It was as if I upgraded by a half-gigahertz or got a
couple extra cpu cores, just for killing that stuff!

But... as John MC-D said, there's a lot of other choices out there
besides kde.  If kde's not doing it for you and you can't configure it to
your liking so it does do it for you, definitely find something else, as
I did with kmail when it akonadified, switching to the gtk-based claws-
mail.  Killing the semantic-desktop stuff (akonadi, nepomuk, virtuoso,
etc) definitely dramatically improved the rest of the kde experience for
me, but it's not something that just anyone will be able to do... not
everyone runs gentoo and/or builds from source, and if you're running a
binary-based distro, those choices are made for you by the folks that
build it.

FWIW, there's still a build/link dependencies on strigi for kdelibs here,
so it's still installed, but it's built without the clucene or
hyperestraier options, and nepomuk, etc, is disabled (and not installed)
via USE=-semantic-desktop, so it's pretty neutered as it has no backends
to use.  It's providing the deps that kdelibs appears to need and that's
about it.  And strigi itself, without its backends, is a pretty fast
build, certainly so compared to kdelibs.

Meanwhile, kde5, aka kde frameworks, is planned to modularize things far
more (thus the frameworks bit), and hopefully that'll allow even the
users of binary distros that default to semantic-desktop support to
entirely opt-out of installing it if they don't want/need it, without
forcing a rebuild just to get at what is now build-time-only options, in
many cases.