KDE open file dialog and accented file names

pennguin pennguin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 22:04:24 BST 2012

Hi all,

I think that I've found a small bug in KDE open file dialog. Sometimes
when I want to quickly switch KDE application language (for example
when some translation is misleading) I run the app with LANG variable
set to C (LANG=C kwrite). But is this proper method for quick language
change?

Why I'm asking? Today I've discovered that when using this method I
can not chose files/directories in open file dialog with accented
characters in name (for example: jałć). When I'm trying to open it in
kwrite and click on them in the open file dialog there is an error:
The file given could not be read; check whether it exists or is
readable for the current user. But.. when I start to type the name by
hand and use auto completion it opens fine but uses the file name
jaÅ‚Ä (to be honest, there is rectangular before each accented
character but I can not paste it) . All is working fine when language
is changed using system settings. Anyone having the same issue?

Pennguin