KDE 4.8.1 doing strange things with some applications

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Tue Mar 20 20:57:38 GMT 2012

pete writes:

> I am having a few strange interactions here with KDE4.8.1  i use claws
> mail for the simple reason Kmail has caused me too much hassle
> recently  ,

Me too, for daily use. For encrypted mails or local folders I still use
KMail. Or when Claws crashes after sending a mail like now.

>  all was well untill the update to KDE 4.8.1 then every time
> i send a mail it closes claws down if i open a compose window then
> think dont bother and close the window the entire claws vanishes
> Claws mail is version 3.8.0 on Arch Linux as in sig block below

Exactly the same happens here on Gentoo Linux since this morning. I am
running 4.8.1 since two weeks ago, but there was an update to 4.8.1-r1 three
days ago, and I did not log out of KDE since today. But there was also an
update to Xorg yesterday, from 1.11.4 to 1.12.0.

The error message when started from a terminal is:

The program 'claws-mail' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 55930 error_code 3 request_code 151 minor_code 3)

And it also crashes when I run it in another window manager like IceWM or
Enlightenment, with KDE running at that time or not. It even does so when I
rename the .claws-mail directory so it starts with default configuration.

However, it does _not_ crash when I run it with a new user with empty $HOME
directory. Unless... this user is running KDE. But it only crashes from
within KDE, it still does not crash in Enlightenment then. So, this user
cannot run Claws from KDE, while I cannot use it at all now.

I did not investigate this further, I probably could do some config
bisecting, but I have no spare time at the moment. Did you also upgrade X to
12.0?

P.S. when sending this mail, KMail asks for the SMTP server's password. Why
doesn't it use the KDE wallet this time? These are those problems that made
me switch to Claws. I'll restart Kontact and try again.

	Wonko