Skin

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Mar 10 04:21:25 GMT 2012

Francois Maurice posted on Fri, 09 Mar 2012 05:20:01 -0800 as excerpted:

> I'm a new user of KDE. Currently, I'm using RKWard, a graphical user
> interface for the R statistical computing environment.
>
> I'd like to now if there is a way to change the appearence, "skin", for
> all applications running under KDE ?

That's an interesting question.  Yes... no... Both "all" and "under" in
"all applications running under kde" have potential scope issues, and the
answer clearly depends on the scope you had in mind when you asked the
question.  This is probably a much longer reply than you intended, but
FWIW, I'm known by regulars for my long and detailed posts, and it was
fun writing up, so I hope you (and/or others who may come upon it as
well) find it useful.  =:^)

If you intended to mean "all kde-based apps", then the answer is most
certainly yes, you get the full control kde allows.

If you intended to mean "all qt-based apps, including kde apps (since kde
is based on qt)", then yes, but with a few slight limitations since some
options will apply to kde-apps-only.

If you intended to mean "all x-based apps, when run on a kde desktop",
then the answer is yes, but with much stronger limitations, depending on
the widget toolkit (qt, gtk, (tcl/)tk, fltk, others, roll-its-own) the
applications widgets are based on.  In general, kde theming can be made
to apply to gnome/gtk-based apps reasonably well but with some limits due
to cross-toolkit differences, while the themeing/skinning flexibility of
other toolkits, and/or kde's ability to get at it, tends to be much more
limited, and apps based on them thus tend to do their own thing
appearance-wise, to a much larger degree.

Extending the same logic to somewhat absurd levels, command-line and
ncurses based (semi-gui) apps would certainly be included in the class of
"all" apps, and when they're run in a terminal window on a kde desktop in
X, they could certainly be said to be "running under kde", but not being
X-based apps at all, only happening to be running in a terminal window
under kde/X, kde normally has little or no control over their appearance.

Technically, that answers your question as asked, but not the implied
question behind it -- where are kde's appearance options located and how
do you change them?

You don't mention what version of kde, but I'll assume it's kde4.  Note
that there were some major changes in settings layout for kde 4.5, and
there are somewhat more minor changes with each feature release (the six-
month 4.x releases, so 4.0, 4.1, 4.2... up to current 4.8, monthly 4.x.y
releases, so 4.8.0, 4.8.1 for the current 4.8 feature release, with 4.8.2
and 4.8.3 to come, are bugfix-only and don't change layout, etc).  When I
describe name and location of options, I'm doing so for the current kde
4.8, but in most cases it'll be quite similar or identical for any kde
since 4.5.  If you're still using 4.4 or earlier, you'll have to adjust
the names and locations accordingly, and kde3 was enough different that
if you're still using it, little if any of the below detail will apply,
at least directly.

Most of these settings can be found in the application formerly known as
kcontrol, now called kde settings or simply (and inaccurately) system
settings.  Some distros may in fact call it something else, but whatever
it's called, it's the kde settings control panel that you're looking
for.  This control-panel-like app is split into categories and further
into individual control panel applets, with many control panel applets
further split into multiple tabs.

In kde settings (aka systemsettings), most of the appearance control
options are located in two main categories, the difference of which isn't
necessarily obvious to most users, who often find themselves looking in
one, and if their desired settings aren't there, the other.  These are
Common Appearance and Behavior, and Workspace Appearance and Behavior.

Under common appearance and behavior you'll find the sub-category
application appearance, containing five applets, style, colors, icons,
fonts, and emoticons.  Most of these, except for color and /maybe/ fonts
(I'm not sure on fonts) only affect kde-based applications.  "Common"
therefore refers to "common to most/all kde apps", and the other
subcategories to be found under "Common..." likewise only affect kde-
based apps, in general.

The "Style" applet controls "widget style".  Widgets are all the little
checkboxes (independently togglable), radiobuttons (only one of a group
may be chosen, think the old-style car-radio station buttons, only one at
a time could be chosen), comboboxes (dropdown lists), tabs, spinner-boxes
(arrows increase/decrease a value), text-boxes, progressboxes, action
buttons (like OK, Cancel), etc, that combine to form a GUI application.

The kde4 default style is Oxygen.  It also happens to be rather more
highly configurable than the others.  But it's here in the style applet
that you choose which style kde apps use, and how they're configured.

KDE4's color configuration options are much richer and therefore more
complex than is common elsewhere.  The least complex way to change them
and be sure everything's still readable is to use the pre-built color
schemes.  If you don't like the ones that ship with kde, there's a lot
more available on kde-look.org.  The get new schemes button allows you to
download them.

If you do decide to tweak individual colors, be sure and click the help
button and read up on how it works, first.  Once you understand the
method to the madness, it's a LOT less confusing, and you'll know how to
check that your changes don't leave you with say white text on eggshell
background in some cases, something unreadable to nearly everyone.

Two additional notes on colors:  (1) On the options tab, there's an apply
colors to non-kde4 applications checkbox.  This controls whether kde will
try to apply its color scheme to gtk-based apps, etc, or not, thus
forming the big exception to the "kde-only" rule of the "common"
category..  FWIW, I have it set to apply to non-kde as well, but I've
found that every once in awhile, my gtk-based apps revert to their
default color scheme (which I hate for both kde and gtk, neutral grays
aren't my thing AT ALL, and I tend to prefer "reverse" schemes with light
text on dark backgrouns, as well) and I have to go back in here, toggle
the setting off, hit apply, toggle it back on, and hit apply again. (2)
The inactive/disabled color effects to be found here (togglable with a
checkbox located a bit above the apply to non-kde checkbox I mentioned
above) are nice, but don't always work well with the window translucency
effect (see below).  So if you enable the window translucency effects and
have inactive windows set to a higher translucency than active windows,
you'll probably want to tone down or deactivate the inactive window color
effects found here.

The icons, fonts, and emoticons applets are pretty self-explanatory, or
at least I've found them so, and don't have much to say about them.

That's common appearance and behavior, now we'll switch to workspace
appearance and behavior.  "Workspace" as opposed to "Common" refers to
two rather different concepts.  First, the settings for plasma, the kde4
desktop, are found here.  They only affect plasma (and krunner), not the
rest of kde, but since plasma is the desktop, panels, launcher menus,
etc, that you see when nothing else is loaded and that contain the system
tray and notifiers, and that is normally used to launch apps, etc, most
users will spend quite a bit of time looking at it, so its appearance is
pretty important!

Second, "Workspace" contains the options for kwin, desktop effects,
window behavior, window decorations, that apply to all apps, kde or not,
since the window manager manages them all.  Thus, "workspace" contains
app-specific configuration, but since one of those specific apps is kwin,
the window manager, a lot of the "workspace" options apply even more
globally than the "common" options above, because they apply to all X-
based apps, not just kde apps.

Desktop effects is directly under workspace..., no sub-category for it.
While most of these effects are behavior more than appearance, on the all-
effects tab, there's a whole list of effects under appearance, but one of
particular note, (window) translucency.  Since these effects are
implemented by kde's window manager, kwin, they apply to all windows on
the desktop, those of kde apps and non-kde apps alike.

If you chose to enable this effect, you'll almost certainly want to hit
its configure button and adjust the relative transparency/opacity of the
various elements.  Again I'll note what I said above under colors: if you
set inactive windows somewhat transparent, you may want to tone down or
deactivate inactive window color effects.  Also, if you have exception
windows that you want to keep more transparent/opaque than normal even
when inactive, you'll probably want to set inactive windows to full
opacity here, and use the alternative described in the next paragraph.

Still in workspace appearance and behavior, under window behavior, window
rules, you can set all sorts of individual window exceptions.  Most of
them don't concern us here as we're dealing with appearance, but the
opacity settings do, since they're appearance as well.

What I found here is that when I set inactive window opacity under
desktop effects, translucency (as described above), that overrode
individual window inactive translucency exceptions that I tried to set,
here.

The fix was simple enough.  First, as mentioned above, I set inactive
windows to full opacity in desktop effects.  Then, I created a new
generic window rule applying to (almost) all windows, and set my desired
default inactive window opacity there.  That rule should be BELOW any
individual window exceptions in the list.  Here, it's my last entry, out
of 25-30 different window rules I have setup with various exceptions for
various windows, including an inactive window opacity exception for some
of them.

The specific window rule settings for this generic rule?  (This describes
4.8, 4.7 changed the window rule dialog layout, so 4.7 should be similar
or identical, but 4.6 and earlier will need some adjustments.)

Window matching tab:  Description:  This is your description, for this
one I chose "*all (opacity)".  Window types: All but Dock (panel) and
Desktop.  In particular, I didn't want the panels fading when they
weren't active, and they're dock windows, so I don't match on it.  For
similar reasons I don't match on the desktop/root window.  Everything
else on this tab should be set to unimportant, since we're setting up a
generic rule. (The delay spinner is for click-selecting the window to
apply to, it doesn't apply to the actual rule once setup).

Appearance and fixes tab (last):  Check the active and inactive opacity
options, set them to force, and set the opacity as desired.  Here, I have
99% active, 85% inactive.

Other settings on this tab, and the two middle tabs, should be left
unchecked, unless of course you want to set default behavior for them, as
well.

Hit OK, move the new rule to the bottom of the list if necessary, and hit
apply.  You now have a default setting for active and inactive window
translucency, but can override it with other specific window rules, as
long as they appear above this one in the window rules list. =:^)

Back under the main workspace appearance and behavior category, look
under workspace appearance.  Available applets here include window
decorations, cursor theme, desktop theme, and splash screen.  Cursor
theme is a general X/window-manager setting and should apply to all apps,
unless they specifically set their own cursors.  Splash screen controls
what appears as kde first starts up.  That leaves window decorations and
desktop theme.

Window decorations will apply to all windows that have the normal window
border and titlebar, so it's not kde specific, but some windows (the
krunner dialog, for instance) are borderless by default.  (If you have
the hide window borders toggle hotkey set, you can try toggling the
border on and off for various windows, including krunner.  Krunner does
look rather odd with a window title and border! =:^)  Here again, as with
styles under common, above, the kde default is oxygen, and here again,
it's noticeably more configurable than other options.  FWIW, I prefer the
oxygen style above, but the kde2 window decoration, here.  It's worth
noting that the decoration colors (for most decorations) are set in the
colors applet, dealt with above, not here.

Desktop theme applies to the plasma desktop (desktop, panels, plasmoids
including the kickoff launcher and clock, etc) and to krunner, only.  One
possible point of confusion is that the font and colors settings under
common, above, do *NOT* in general apply to plasma.  Instead, the desktop
theme settings apply.  There's a kde oxygen desktop theme just as there's
an oxygen widget style and an oxygen window decoration, and an oxygen
icon theme, as well.  Two other things of note.  As with color schemes
and various other places in kde where it makes sense, you can download
additional desktop themes from kde-look.org, if you don't like the look
of any of those shipped with kde.  And, on the details tab, it's possible
to mix and match elements from installed desktop themes as desired.
Thus, for instance, if you like one theme in general, but dislike its
kickoff element and particularly like the analog clock from a different
theme, it's possible to have everything except for those two elements
from the same theme, and set those two, each to the corresponding element
from a different theme.

That about covers it except for one additional note.  At least here, I
have trouble keeping themes (as in desktop themes, aka plasmoid's
appearance), decorations (as in window decorations, aka window titlebars
and borders), and styles (as in widget styles, the buttons, checkboxes,
etc, that together form the interactive UI of an app) separate.  When I
look at all three of them in kde settings, I can tell which is which, but
I do often have to either see all three or click on them one at a time
until I get the one I'm looking for.  I suppose I'm not alone in this,
and that as with common appearance and behavior vs workspace appearance
and behavior, where I've seen other people wondering about the
distinction, it's a bit confusing to many people.  If you find it
confusing too, at least note that all three exist, so that if you don't
get the one you intended with the first one you open, you can look around
and try the others, as well.