changelogs and kde sc 4.7

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 15:10:10 GMT 2012

in-line :-

2012/3/7 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>:
> [This mail was also posted to gmane.comp.kde.general.]
>
> shirish शिरीष posted on Wed, 07 Mar 2012 17:11:10 +0530 as excerpted:
>
>>  A request to all, please CC me if somebody answers as I have turned
>> off mail delivery for the group as I have more than enough mailing
>> lists subscriptions to last a lifetime.
>
> I've done just that.

Thank you.

> Note to all, please repeat the CC to
> shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com>
> in further followups.
>
>> Ok, now the thing is Debian sid has just started on the road to KDE SC
>> 4.7 . While I'm not a KDE User I do use quite a few of the KDE tools
>> and more specifically games esp. Kshinshen and palapeli.
>>
>> In most GNU/Linux distributions that I have played with there is a
>> concept called changelogs where one can read what changes, new
>> features,bug-fixes etc. were done to a program once a new version is
>> out.
>
> I guess 4.7 isn't as far behind as it could be, but FWIW, I just
> rebooted into the latest git kernel and the fresh kde 4.8.1, here,
> after just completing an update here on Gentoo ~amd64 with various
> pre-main-tree testing overlays and package unmasks... I was running the
> 4.8 betas and rcs well before the turn of the year, and 4.7 thus
> sounds /so/ "last year" to me. But of course I'm not you, and don't
> make the choices for your system.  It's all good!  =:^)

Its actually 4.7.2 which means the October 5 release according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_Software_Compilation_4#cite_note-4.7_schedule-78
so perhaps not that 'old' :)

> [...]
> (4.x.y) a month, with a feature release (4.x) twice a year.
> Additionally, "the dot" covers kde developer sprints and the
> commit-digests (see below), so it's generally an article or two a week,
> not too difficult to keep up with.  Also, FLOSS community news sites
> such as lxer.com and h-online.com keep up with kde news announcements,
> if you'd prefer to follow them.
>
> At the high detail end, there's the version-control-system (most of kde
> is now on git, but some modules remain on svn/subversion, AFAIK) commit
> logs.  These describe each change, and of course there's the actual
> source code changes that were committed as well, if you're curious or
> want to revert/cherrypick individual commits.  You can either use the
> web frontend to view these commits, or follow the repositories directly
> using git/svn/whatever.  I do the latter myself for a number of
> packages, either thru gentoo's live ebuilds or directly, for instance,
> following the mainstream linus-kernel git directly.  Tho I don't follow
> kde's live repos routinely, I will do direct git access when tracking
> down a particular bug using git-bisect, etc, and report bugs bisected
> to a specific commit for the kernel and a few other packages I track
> closely routinely, and for kde occasionally.
>
> In between these, there's the more or less weekly kde commit-digests
> series, as covered on dot2.kde.org and elsewhere.  These have a fairly
> high level summary, followed by a stats section and then the individual
> commit listings for the week.
>
> There's also PlanetKDE, which syndicates all the kde people blogs,
> developers, artists, translators, infrastructure, PR, even distro
> packagers, pretty much anyone involved with the kde project at some
> level or another, that has a blog.  Following this is a great way to
> get to know more about the folks behind kde, as well as their kde
> projects, and to get a rather less technical viewpoint of what they're
> working on than the commit-digests and commit logs themselves give.
>
> There's also the individual developer blogs.  If you're only using a
> few kde apps, not the entire desktop, using planetKDE to find the blogs
> of the devs for the packages you're interested in, then subscribing to
> those blog feeds directly, instead of to kdeplanet itself or the dot or
> whatever, is one of the more viable options.
>
> Finally, most individual kde projects have their own home pages, but
> these tend toward general project information more than changelogs or
> the like.
>
> Of all these, I'd suggest the individual developer blogs, probably
> initially found via kdeplanet, are going to be one of the closer
> matches, more practical to follow than the entire kdeplanet or
> commit-digests if you're only interested in a few kde
> subprojects/modules/packages, but with rather more individual
> package/module details than the general release announcements.

Ok, first I am just a user, not a packager but a user who wants to use
whatever utilities come as part of the upgrade cycle to use it the
best way I can. Because there is no documentation to know what the
changes happened between KDE SC 4.6 and KDE SC 4.7,at least for the
couple of utilities/games I have mentioned above I have no idea .

On palapeli I have been following Stefan majewsky's blog as he writes
about palapeli http://majewsky.wordpress.com/ although the developer
in question does not write much :(

I am at wits end to find the developers name of the people behind
kshisen for games.kde.org does not list either kshisen or palapeli in
its offerings (Guess the website is outdated or something) .

Later I did find some of the people's names who had contributed to
kshisen but not where I expected. It is in
/usr/share/doc/kshisen/copyright but it also has copyrights of all the
other games mashed into it, this perhaps I will follow will the Debian
Developer involved because this is curious as well.

Btw who's working on it or is kshisen orphaned for the copyright only
lists things till 2k7 and nothing after that :-

KShisen was written by
    Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Dave Corrie <kde at davecorrie.com>
    Copyright (C) 1997 Mario Weilguni <mweilguni at sime.com>
    Copyright (C) 2007 Mauricio Piacentini <mauricio at tabuleiro.com>
This program is distributed under the terms of the GPL v2 or later.

As far as the community digests are concerned the only thing I have to
say is wow for the web-page is pretty nice and interactive to boot, my
congratulations to the devs. behind it, and while its good/great to
look at it does not tell me what's really happening with the games I
asked about above.

What I did found even more curiouser is that kshisen is not part of
the kdegames offering but listed separately, anybody has any idea
behind that. Is kshisen part of the KDEgames offerings or not ?

$ aptitude show kdegames
Package: kdegames
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4:4.7.4-2
Section: kde
Maintainer: Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde at lists.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 62.5 k
Depends: bovo (>= 4:4.7.4-2), bomber (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kapman (>=
4:4.7.4-2), katomic (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kbattleship (>=  4:4.7.4-2),
kblackbox (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kbounce (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kdiamond (>=
4:4.7.4-2), kgoldrunner (>=  4:4.7.4-2), kiriki (>= 4:4.7.4-2),
killbots (>= 4:4.7.4-2), ktron (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kjumpingcube (>=
4:4.7.4-2), klines (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kmahjongg (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kmines
(>= 4:4.7.4-2), knetwalk (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kolf (>= 4:4.7.4-2),
kollision (>= 4:4.7.4-2), konquest (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kpat (>=
4:4.7.4-2), kreversi (>= 4:4.7.4-2), klickety (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kshisen
(>= 4:4.7.4-2), kspaceduel (>= 4:4.7.4-2), ksudoku (>= 4:4.7.4-2),
ksquares (>= 4:4.7.4-2), ktuberling (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kfourinline (>=
4:4.7.4-2), lskat (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kubrick (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kblocks (>=
4:4.7.4-2), kbreakout (>= 4:4.7.4-2), ksirk (>= 4:4.7.4-2), palapeli
(>= 4:4.7.4-2), granatier (>= 4:4.7.4-2), kigo (>= 4:4.7.4-2)
Recommends: kajongg (>= 4:4.7.4-2)
KDE is produced by an international technology team that creates free
and open source software for desktop and portable computing. Among
KDE's products are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX
platforms, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and
hundreds of software titles in many categories including Internet and
web applications, multimedia, entertainment, educational, graphics and
software development.

 This metapackage includes a collection of games provided with the
official release of KDE.
Homepage: http://games.kde.org/

Tags: role::dummy, role::metapackage, suite::kde, uitoolkit::qt,
use::gameplaying, x11::application

And as can be seen
> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

And as can be seen kshisen is listed separately :-

$ aptitude show kshisen
Package: kshisen
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4:4.7.4-2
KShisen is a Shisen-Sho game where the player removes adjacent pairs
of Mahjongg tiles to clear the board.

This package is part of the KDE games module.
Homepage: http://games.kde.org/

Tags: game::strategy, implemented-in::c++, interface::x11,
role::program, suite::kde, uitoolkit::qt, use::gameplaying,
x11::application

Lastly it seems KDE is going through a svn -> git migration . Does
anybody know when that migration started ?

Sorry for all the noise :)

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल