changelogs and kde sc 4.7

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 11:41:10 GMT 2012

Hi all,
First of all newbie to the list.

 A request to all, please CC me if somebody answers as I have turned
off mail delivery for the group as I have more than enough mailing
lists subscriptions to last a lifetime.

Ok, now the thing is Debian sid has just started on the road to KDE SC
4.7 . While I'm not a KDE User I do use quite a few of the KDE tools
and more specifically games esp. Kshinshen and palapeli.

In most GNU/Linux distributions that I have played with there is a
concept called changelogs where one can read what changes, new
features,bug-fixes etc. were done to a program once a new version is
out. This I'm stating for self as well as any newbies who might be out
there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changelog

Like most of the distributions even Debian has this changelogs. Debian
is a bit more particular as they also do something called
Debianization hence we get two changelogs, one is the one where
changelog about a particular program is kept (changelog.gz) and one
where changes done for Debian packaging is kept.

An example of a package/program where both changelog.gz and
changelog.Debian.gz is kept :-

/usr/share/doc/leafpad$ ls
changelog.Debian.gz  changelog.gz  copyright  README

Now these are excerpts from the changelog.Debian.gz (which tells the
latest update) :-

/usr/share/doc/leafpad$ zcat changelog.Debian.gz | less

leafpad (0.8.18.1-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * debian/compat
    - Update to 9
  * debian/control
    - (Build-Depends): update to debhelper 9, dpkg-dev 1.16.1.
  * debian/patches
    - (20): Fix code for gcc hardened format specifiers.
  * debian/rules
    - Use hardened CFLAGS (FTBFS; Closes: #646343).
      http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/SecurityHardeningBuildFlags

 -- Jari Aalto <jari.aalto at cante.net>  Wed, 08 Feb 2012 07:03:31 -0500

As can be seen this is the maintainer Jari Aalto and he is talking
about some changes he did so it works in/with Debian better.

There is another changelog which I'm more interested in :-

/usr/share/doc/leafpad$ zcat changelog.gz | less

2010-12-23

  version 0.8.18.1:
        * Fixed saving (Jan-Erik Rediger, Edward Sheldrake).

2010-12-18

  version 0.8.18:
        * Fixed action when file name contains colon
          (John Lindgren, Mikko Viinamaki).
        * Fixed memory leak on saving file (Dmitry Artamonow).
        * Fixed caseless search bug (Dmitry Artamonow).
        * Fixed memory leak on line numbering (Hongwei Xi).
        * Fixed truncation on saving file (Alex, brian m. carlson).
        * Added translations: eo, gl.
        * Updated translations: fi, hu.

This changelog is showing the actual changes that were made from say
0.8.18 to 0.8.18.1

Now I know that KDE has taken the modularization route so its easier
both for users and developers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_Software_Compilation

I had tried to see if the changelogs are there in Debian in quite a
few of the KDE packages that I have on the system but got nowhere with
them :-

For e.g.

/usr/share/doc/kdegames$ ls
changelog.Debian.gz  copyright  README

/usr/share/doc/palapeli$ ls
changelog.Debian.gz  copyright

So either it means that no changes were done when transiting from KDE
4.4/4.6 to KDE 4.7 or what for these packages  or maybe the Debian
maintainers messed it up somewhere .

Just to make it clear for myself I also downloaded a source file from
KDE 4.8 info page (as that is the latest release of the project) and
tried to see if there is a changelog somewhere but couldn't.

For instance I downloaded the package analitza (I don't really know
what the package does) but its the first one listed and it is pretty
small.

ftp://mirrors.dotsrc.org/kde/stable/4.8.0/src/analitza-4.8.0.tar.bz2

uncompressed and went to the directory to see if there was anything by
the name changelog or something but didn't find any.

~/analitza-4.8.0$ ls | grep change*

A simple listing shows me this :-

~/analitza-4.8.0$ ls
analitza     analitza.kdev4  cmake           config-kalgebra.h.cmake
COPYING.DOC  icons         Messages.sh
analitzagui  calgebra        CMakeLists.txt  COPYING
COPYING.LIB  Mainpage.dox  TODO

Looking forward to understand .
--
          Regards,