KDE panel showing above some fullscreen applications

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Mar 2 03:54:26 GMT 2012

Dotan Cohen posted on Thu, 01 Mar 2012 18:40:58 +0200 as excerpted:

> On second thought, setting "Always on top" did not work. Virtual Box is
> still shown (sometimes) below the panel. This is rather indeterminate, I
> cannot figure out under what conditions Virtual Box will be below and
> under what conditions Virtual Box will be above the panel.
>
> Might this be a bug in Virtual Box?

FWIW, always-on-top is a togglable (binary-state) window flag.   A panel
set to cover windows has that flag set, as does an app set to always-on-
top.  Thus, while both the window and the panel with the always-on-top
flag set will appear above ordinary windows without that flag set, which
one is on top of the other depends on other factors like raise-on-click
(if that's the behavior you've set in window behavior), etc, generally
the same ones that govern which normal window is on top of the normal
window stack, only this stack always appears above normal windows, but
it's still a stack, too.

So it's not so much a bug in virtual box, as an inability for a binary
always-on-top flag to store more than a binary "stack-topness priority".
If anything, it would be a bug in either X, which defined that flag as a
binary, or kwin, which could in theory define its own non-binary stacking
rules, and expose them as a user-configurable option as it does with
other "window rules".

> As a workaround, is there any way to remove a panel from a particular
> desktop. I considered using a different activity for Virtual Box, but I
> found that cumbersome for my usage profile.

FWIW, with dual monitors (stacked, FWIW, since they're widescreens, MUCH
wider than they are high and I have the height to spare but not the
width, on the wall they're mounted on), I used to run some apps full-
screen across both monitors and had the same problem.

Back in kde3 era, there was an option that turned on a button at one or
both ends of the panel, that when clicked, would hide away that panel to
that end, leaving only the few pixels of button exposed to bring it back,
when one was thru with the full-screen app.

Unfortunately, I've yet to see something similar for kde4's plasma
panels, either built-in (as I believe it was in kde3's kicker panels) or
as a plasmoid -- and believe me I looked on kde-look for one, tho it has
been awhile!  That's one of the still BADLY missed bits of kde3, here.
Oh, well...

Of course it's possible to fiddle with the panel config *TWICE* each time
you run such an app (once to set the panel to windows cover before
starting the app, again after you're done to set the panel back to always-
on-top), but THAT GETS OLD VERY FAST, as I'm sure you've found,
especially so since the panel settings popup, which some would argue it's
more intuitive than the kde3 standard dialog, is DEFINITELY more "fiddly"
and temperamental than a standard dialog (accidently slip off the popup
and over another window with the mouse, so the other window gets focus,
and the popup disappears!).

And at least back then, activities configured the desktop only, not
panels, which were either there or not, regardless (that was supposed to
change with 4.8 or so, activities were supposed to handle panels too, but
I've not tried activities lately to see if it has or not), so activities
wasn't a solution either.  Believe me, I thought of that and tried it!

In some cases, especially if the panel is relatively small, setting it to
autohide works, but if the panel's a third the size of the monitor (the
biggest it could get, back then, I've not tried a bigger panel recently,
either), triggering the auto-unhide tends to be WAAAYY too easy, and
moving WAY across the screen just to let it hide again, WAAYYY too much
of a hassle, for THAT to be a reasonable alternative.  Believe me, I
tried that too!

ARGH!!

The workaround solution I came up with was:

1) killall plasma-desktop (or plasma-notebook, if you're using it
instead), when you need the full desktop.

Note that both khotkeys and krunner are NOT part of plasma-desktop and
thus should still be available.  Thus, it's still possible to use krunner
to launch apps if desired, and if you have a hotkey system setup as I do,
to launch all my usual apps quite apart from using the various launcher
plasmoids (kickoff, lancelot, classic menu, the various button-launcher
plasmoids, etc), really, you'll probably find plasma-desktop isn't
anywhere NEAR as necessary as one might at first believe.

Of course, if you prefer you can keep a konsole window open, or launch a
copy of your favorite launcher plasmoid in a window using either
plasmoidviewer or plasma-windowed.  (Both those utilities allow running a
plasmoid in a normal window instead of in plasma, but there's some
differences in options available, etc.)

The point is, there's quite a few options for launching apps, etc, that
don't depend on plasma-desktop/plasma-netbook.  Pick and configure one or
more, and you'll find running without plasma-desktop/notebook actually
quite practical!

2) Use the full-screen app as desired.

3) When done, use krunner or whatever to relaunch plasma-desktop (or
plasma-notebook, if you're using that instead).

It's not ideal, the little hide-away buttons that kde3's kicker had were
far closer to that, here, but it ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY beat fiddling with
panel properties twice per full-screen app!

Other alternatives:

1) As I mentioned above, plasma is /supposed/ to get activity-associated-
panels at some point, and it MAY actually have them now, I've not
actually tried activities since 4.8 (or even 4.7, really), so I can't say
for sure.  But if/when that works, it should be preferable to the
admittedly rather drastic killall plasma-desktop solution that I had
used, and still use occasionally.

2) Panel auto-hide, again mentioned above, but there's a serious hassle
factor if the panel's large and you're not careful with the mouse.

3) There's a command-line and scriptable utility called wmctrl, that
allows scripting window placement, etc.  If you don't have it installed
and don't already have at least passing familiarity with it, I *HIGHLY*
recommend that you install it and get at least familiar enough with it
that you know the basic stuff it can handle.  In this case, it's worth
noting that each plasma panel is in fact its own window, normally with
the X dock property set, thus a panel's affinity for "docking" to a
side.  As such, it's possible to script the panel's size and placement
via wmctrl, and to setup two such scripts, one that FORCES the panel out
of the way, temporarily, another that puts it back in the usual
location.  This is the sort of "power-user" type solution I just might
work up myself, if I was still using full-screen mode to the same extent
that I was.

4) With multi-monitors, full-screen mode (as well as, optionally,
maximize) normally full-screens to just ONE monitor.  Depending on the
application, for instance, an emulator such as virtual-box, full-
screening to just one monitor of a multi-monitor setup may be just the
ticket, leaving the other one with the normal kde desktop, panels, etc.

The way I have my monitors setup here, stacked, with the "system activity
and auxiliary" monitor on top of the "working" monitor, full-screening
(or maximixing) to one monitor works well indeed.  Nearly everything I
might normally access, plus superkaramba for system monitoring, etc, is
on the top/auxiliary monitor.  The lower/working monitor is thus
generally free of desktop plasmoids (there's a comic plasmoid, but most
comics update once a day so other than that it might as well be
wallpaper).  It has one rather small auto-hide panel in the lower left
corner, containing kickoff and a classic menu plasmoid set to bookmarks-
only, but those buttons and the panel itself are small enough that
autohide isn't a big deal for that panel.  Plus, lower left corner isn't
something I hit that frequently by accident, so in general, it only tends
to trigger when I want it, and if it does trigger accidentally, a bit of
movement and it's hidden again.

That leaves the bottom/working monitor free for either two half-maxed
apps tiled side-by-side (kwin's drag-to-side half-max functionality works
*VERY* well with this), for things like browser windows, list replies,
konsole windows, etc, or a single maxed/full-screen app, covering the
entire bottom monitor.

Given that the monitors are full-HD (1920x1080), this works /perfectly/
for full-screen media-players and the like, letting them full-screen to
the bottom monitor, while the top one remains free, displaying CPU usage,
etc, while playing the video, allowing file-manager browsing in the top
monitor and drag-n-drop from there to the full-screen media player on the
bottom monitor, etc.  Alternatively I can do the two-half-maxed windows
thing on the bottom/working monitor, while playing a video in a window on
the top monitor, if I'm multitasking.

But of course there's some apps that work even better when spread out to
two monitors.  This is the problem I was having, originally, and the
reason that I was using killall plasma-desktop.  But I'm using the next
solution for this sort of thing most of the time now, so don't use the
killall plasma-desktop workaround NEARLY as much as I used to.

5) With the now reliable OpenGL based zoom effect (configured in desktop
effects, middle tab), I've switched to using this a lot more, these days,
tho it was too buggy thru early 4.5 or so, and only became reliable
enough to use it as much as I do with late 4.5.  Of course, the
suitability of this alternative depends on the otherwise full-screen task
you're doing, but for many tasks, simply running them windowed at a lower
resolution, then zooming in using the zoom effect, works very well, at
least on semi-decent hardware/driver combinations like my Radeon hd4650
with the freedomware kernel-drm/kernel-mode-setting(kms)/mesa/xf86-video-
ati drivers.

This zoom effect is the reason for the past-tense in the killall plasma-
desktop instructions above, as zoom works as well or better for the use-
case I was using it for most, anyway.

I DID tweak the zoom-step to a reasonably fine 5%, but since I've
configured good hotkeys that auto-repeat if I hold them down, thus giving
me a quite smooth continuous zoom, the fine zoom-step still works great.
(FWIW, the hotkeys I use for that are ctrl-meta-arrow, where arrow is
down to zoom out, up to zoom in, and left to reset to normal/100% zoom.
Meta is of course the winkey on most current x86 keyboards.)

Between the dual-monitor, full-screen-to-one, alternative, and the zoom-
effect alternative, depending on what I'm using it for, I really don't
use the killall plasma-desktop workaround much at all, any more.  Still,
it's there when I do need it, and at times cycling plasma using a killall
and relaunch is handy for forcing it to save settings, etc, without
exiting kde entirely, as well. =:^)