Switching Activities via keyboard shortcuts.

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Thu Mar 1 17:58:44 GMT 2012

Dotan Cohen writes:

> I currently use one Desktop for Virtual Box, and another for
> everything else. I am considering switching this paradigm to having
> Virtual Box on one Activity, and everything else in another Activity.
> I am having these issues with Activities in KDE 4.7. If there is a
> workaround if if the issues are addressed in KDE 4.8 I would like to
> know. Thanks.
>
> 1) There is no way to flip between two Activities on a single keyboard
> shortcut, as one can flip between two windows with Alt-Tab (called
> Walk Through Windows in System Settings). One can likewise set "Walk
> Through Desktops", but not "Walk Through Activities".

There is, Meta-Tab. Which is Windows-Key-Tab here, I'm not sure if this
is generally the case. Look at Systemsettings -> Shortcuts and Gestures
-> Global Shortcuts -> Plasma Desktop. I'm using KDE 4.8, but I'm pretty
sure this was already like that in 4.7.

> 2) Though there is a keyboard shortcut to open the Activities Manager,
> once there the mouse is necessary to actually switch Activity. One
> cannot simply choose an Activity via the arrow keys. I'm sure that one
> might be able to tab his way around in the Activities Manager, but
> that is not an efficient way to swap Activities.

Indeed.

> 3) There is no quick way to send a window to a different Activity,
> such as one can move a window to a different Desktop from the Task
> Bar's context menu -> Move To Desktop.

Open the application's window menu, there are two similar entries, To
Desktop and Activity. There you can select on which desktops and
activities the window should be. I just noticed this myself, I have
shortcuts to send a window to any desktop (I set them to Meta-Shift-Fn to
send to desktop n, and Meta-Shift-Esc to show it on all desktops), so I
never use the menu. Maybe someone should raise a feature request to make
shortcuts possible for activities, too.
It's not exactly what you asked for, because in order to move a window to
another activity/desktop you have to check the destination
activity/dektop, and then repeat and uncheck the current one.

BTW, I do not use activities at all, so maybe I'm overlooking something
here.

	Wonko