KMail freezes after adding address to addressbook

Scott sbicknel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 22:26:46 BST 2012

On Thursday June 28, 2012 6:14 am Duncan wrote:

> As the now akonadified kmail2 was shipped and people began to upgrade,
> they weren't always happy with the results.  Initial functionality was
> deliberately very very similar, almost identical, so that wasn't the
> problem.  Stability was.  Unfortunately, the akonadi database-bridging
> backends weren't entirely stable and there were various glitches between
> akonadi and its backends, and between kmail and akonadi.  People were
> losing mail and weren't too happy about it!  Additionally, there were
> still problems with migration and people continued to lose access to some
> of their old mail in new kmail2, even to having entire mail-folders
> disappearing and having to reimport them.
>

> I happened to be one of those people.

These problems are why I subscribed to this list. I thought that I was either
missing something in plain sight that was causing me to misuse Kmail or that
there was some workaround available to make these issues less problematic. I
dumped KDE when 4.0 was shoved in my face by Kubuntu, and I had used Kmail for
years before that. I only recently returned to KDE in Fedora and found that
Kmail was no longer the stable and reliable mail client that I remembered.

For some time I used Mutt, but I often get mail with attachments in MS Office
formats, and Mutt makes handling those a PITA. I like to compose mail in Vim,
and that, at least, still works in Kmail. Maybe I should look into Claws Mail.
That would have been a more seamless transition from Mutt than Kmail was.
--
Scott