KDE 4.6 ---- Dolphin Crashes on a mouse over

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 13:01:10 BST 2012

A bit of a note on dolphin going totally awol as soon as the cursor is moved over a canon raw photo file.

Dolphin just disappears basically and a crash report pops up.

I recently added some older canon raw files that are dot crw rather than .cr2. CR2 is the one that causes the crashes. dot crw just does nothing and open with can be used and it makes no attempt at showing a thumbnail. Cannon and others will no doubt continue to change their file naming every now and again each time a new camera comes out basically so that they can tell the difference.

Can't help laughing. It reminds me of my 1st excursion into commercial software production where I rapidly learned that there is a need to filter out what subsequent software will accept and do nothing if not in the list as painful and boring as that may be. In my case it was not fully scanning keyboard input intended for entry into a data base. The data base accepted what it was given as it should as in this case that wasn't it's responsibility. Things are a little different when the entries were read later - the odd characters might be disc errors and couldn't display so it threw an error. The solution was to scan every entry for acceptable characters and wipe the field if there are any problems. That discourages users from messing about which some will do.

Duncan might like to note that once I wrote that input routine it cropped up in every bit of code I wrote. It makes a lot of sense to only write one function and always use it- re akanodi etc. :-) That also encouraged me to move out of commercial software development as I prefer a more varied life. This attitude also helps me accept change. Things often get in such a mess eventually that things have to be re done from scratch and improvements and changes get harder and harder to add as the code evolves. The only answer at some point is to throw the lot away and start again. :-) My management used to hate that as they always do but the problem can be minimized via due attention to structure.

John