Is it possible to transfer files from a laptop to a phone with kde's mtp?

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:09:03 BST 2012

2012/6/26 Jayhel <jayhel at ifmath.se>:

> On 06/25/2012 11:05 PM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>>
>> 2012/6/24 Jayhel <jayhel at ifmath.se>:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I own an Android phone (Sony Xperia S) that only communicates in mtp mode
>>> (not usb mode) when connected to a laptop with the usb cable. I does not
>>> have any removable micro SD slut but instead a massive built-in 25 Gig
>>> memory.
>>>
>>> When I connect it to my Slackware Linux laptop, kde's camera fires up and
>>> can retrieve on the laptop the pictures taken with the phone's camera and
>>> no
>>> problem. Great!
>>>
>>> I also want to move some music (mp3 songs and folders) from my laptop to
>>> the
>>> phone's memory.
>>> However, when I try (with kde's camera), I get the message "Writing to
>>> camera is not supported".
>>>
>>> I cannot write from the laptop to the phone.
>>> I can only read from the phone to the laptop.
>>>
>>> The question I am asking is this:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to transfer files from a laptop to a phone with kde's mtp
>>> implementation (with camera or otherwise)
>>

>> I've been through this problem with mtp devices before (Motorola Xoom
>> and others) and found some packages I could install that would allow
>> me to mount those devices as "MTP file systems" that could be read or
>> written. I can't remember which packages were these now, but I must
>> have this information saved somewhere and I can look for it if you
>> want. You could then mount manually the UTP device each time you
>> connected it to your computer or write udev rules to get this done
>> automatically.
>> However, nowadays I just think it's more practical to copy the files
>> wirelessly. I've installed a SSH server on my linux box and connect to
>> it from my android devices using AndFTP, Astro File Manager or ES File
>> Manager. I like it better this way.
>>
> How long would it take to transfer 10 Gig of music this way?
> Rgs

I usually can transfer files wirelessly at about 2 MB/s. So, to
transfer 10 GB, it would take about 1,5 hours.
Of course, since wifi networks performance is highly affected by a
huge number of factors, your mileage may vary, for better or worse. It
depends on the quality of the router, its antenna, the wifi speeds
supported by the router and the android device (802.11 b/g/n),
obstacles between them, presence of neighbors' wifi networks, number
of devices accessing your network, etc, etc, etc. You can get better
results if you place your android device near the router and choose a
channel that is not being used by other nearby wifi networks.

[]'s
Marcelo