Is it possible to transfer files from a laptop to a phone with kde's mtp?

Jayhel jayhel at ifmath.se
Mon Jun 25 11:52:31 BST 2012

On 06/25/2012 07:20 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 25/06/12 02:06, Jayhel wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I own an Android phone (Sony Xperia S) that only communicates in mtp
>> mode (not usb mode) when connected to a laptop with the usb cable. I
>> does not have any removable micro SD slut but instead a massive
>> built-in 25 Gig memory.
>>
>> When I connect it to my Slackware Linux laptop, kde's camera fires
>> up and I can retrieve on the laptop the pictures taken with the
>> phone's camera and no problem. Great!
>>
>> I also want to move some music (mp3 songs and folders) from my laptop
>> to the phone's memory. However, when I try (with kde's camera), I get
>> the message "Writing to camera is not supported".
>>
>> I cannot write from the laptop to the phone. I can only read from the
>> phone to the laptop.
>>
>> The question I am asking is this:
>>
>> Is it possible to transfer files from a laptop to a phone with kde's
>> mtp implementation (with camera or otherwise)
>>
> It seems funny to be using a camera app to transfer files :-)
>
> I have a Samsung Android phone, so I can only answer from my experience.
>   This sounds as though the software supplied by Sony doesn't provide for
> easy transfer of files.
This is true. Believe it: the Xperia S, a USD500+ phone, does not
communicate in USB mode. Only in MTP mode... This is nonsense!
The one supplied by Samsung isn't great either.
I owned a Samsung Galaxy. I know. Also a Motorola and a HTC. None of
them are perfect. All have their shortcomings.
Would they all have the best features, they would all be the same, and
there would be no competition...
>   However, there are some excellent Android file managers that should
> help.  A search should find one for you.
No file manager can overcome the fact that the phone does not
communicate in USB mode.

> I'm also surprised to hear that you can't use usb mode.  When I start
> usb mode I have to authenticate the laptop against the phone.  The phone
> tells me the ip address to enter in my browser (it uses port 8080, so
> the address will be something like 192.168.0.232:8080) then a message
> comes up on the phone asking if I want to allow the laptop to connect.
> After that, I can browse the phone and its SD card without problems.  Of
> course you need to disconnect in software before removing the physical
> connection, as you would in any other situation.
>
> Alternatively, check your Settings menu for USB Utilities.  This is
> nicer, IMO.  That offers a button to Connect storage to PC.  Touching
> that brings up a message that you should now connect your usb cable (it
> needs to be unconnected before this stage).  When you get the USB
> Connected screen touch the button for a connection, and KDE's USB
> manager will pop up just as with any usb-connected drive.  From then on
> you can explore in Dolphin.  This is the method I use.
>
> I hope you can get some ideas from this.
No, I don't get any idea from your answer.
The only way is to become an expert in mtpfs and libmtp under Linux.
Probably to recompile the mtplib changing some permission compling options
But I appreciate your help

> Anne

jl