Is it possible to transfer files from a laptop to a phone with kde's mtp?

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 14:05:56 BST 2012

2012/6/24 Jayhel <jayhel at ifmath.se>:
> Hi!
>
> I own an Android phone (Sony Xperia S) that only communicates in mtp mode
> (not usb mode) when connected to a laptop with the usb cable. I does not
> have any removable micro SD slut but instead a massive built-in 25 Gig
> memory.
>
> When I connect it to my Slackware Linux laptop, kde's camera fires up and I
> can retrieve on the laptop the pictures taken with the phone's camera and no
> problem. Great!
>
> I also want to move some music (mp3 songs and folders) from my laptop to the
> phone's memory.
> However, when I try (with kde's camera), I get the message "Writing to
> camera is not supported".
>
> I cannot write from the laptop to the phone.
> I can only read from the phone to the laptop.
>
> The question I am asking is this:
>
> Is it possible to transfer files from a laptop to a phone with kde's mtp
> implementation (with camera or otherwise)

I've been through this problem with mtp devices before (Motorola Xoom
and others) and found some packages I could install that would allow
me to mount those devices as "MTP file systems" that could be read or
written. I can't remember which packages were these now, but I must
have this information saved somewhere and I can look for it if you
want. You could then mount manually the UTP device each time you
connected it to your computer or write udev rules to get this done
automatically.
However, nowadays I just think it's more practical to copy the files
wirelessly. I've installed a SSH server on my linux box and connect to
it from my android devices using AndFTP, Astro File Manager or ES File
Manager. I like it better this way.

[]'s
Marcelo