How to setup dual monitor in kde?

James bjlockie at lockie.ca
Fri Jun 1 01:42:28 BST 2012

On 05/28/12 22:50, Duncan wrote:
> James posted on Mon, 28 May 2012 20:40:22 -0400 as excerpted:
>
> James posted on Mon, 28 May 2012 20:40:22 -0400 as excerpted:
>
>> On 05/28/12 19:34, Duncan wrote:
>>> bjlockie posted on Mon, 28 May 2012 13:39:53 -0400 as excerpted:

>>> On gentoo?  It's just standard gentoo USE flags, in general.  The two
>>> catches for gentooers are that (1) the semantic-desktop USE flag is an
>>> "=" dependency, meaning that to turn it off anywhere in kde you must
>>> turn it off for everything (that's actually somewhat stricter than the
>>> upstream kde requirements, AFAIK, where if you have it on in say
>>> dolphin you have to have it on in kdelibs, but to have it on in kdelibs
>>> doesn't require it in dolphin), and that (2) because pretty much all of
>>> kdepim requires kdepim-common-libs, kdepim-common-libs in turn requires
>>> akonadi (akonadi-server on gentoo), and akonadi in turn requires
>>> USE=semantic- desktop, in ordered to turn semantic-desktop off on
>>> gentoo you pretty much cannot have anything kdepim (including kmail,
>>> akregator, kaddressbook, knode, korganizer, etc) installed -- you gotta
>>> use something else for them.
>>>
>>> Then once you turn off USE=semantic-desktop, an emerge --depclean peels
>>> away a lot of dependencies, and once those are peeled away, other
>>> formerly required USE flags (like rasqual) can be turned off, which in
>>> turn allows emerge --depclean to clean out even more formerly required
>>> packages.
>>>
>>> Building from source manually or using non-gentoo scripts? [snip]
>>>

>> If I remove sematic-desktop from /etc/make.conf, will anything put it
>> back?
>
> OK, so gentoo (or perhaps funtoo or...) then.  Good.  That's easier.
>
> FWIW, here what I did is set -semantic-desktop, not simply remove it. That
> way if anything has it set as a package-default-use, the specific negative
> use flag overrides, where simply having it not set won't.
>
> With the other, related flags (which generally decide which backends get
> built, without semantic-desktop the backends aren't needed either):
>
> -semantic-desktop -raptor -redland -virtuoso
>
> Also -clucene and -hyperestraier, but depending on what else you have
> installed (especially web-app packages), you may need to keep these on, or
> set the use in make.conf one way and setup package.use for whatever
> packages you might want the other.
>

> Meanwhile, FWIW, I don't have all kde installed.  What I do is take the
> sets from the kde overlay (I have the portage 2.2 series unmasked here,
> for full sets support), copy them to /etc/portage/sets and rename them
> with my initials so I can tell mine from the default overlay sets, then I
> edit them.  All library lines get commented (see below for why I don't
> simply delete them) as they'll be pulled in by apps that need them.  Apps
> lines I don't want/need or that I /know/ are deps of something else listed
> also get commented.
>
> Every six-month feature upgrade, so from 4.7 to 4.8, for instance, kde
> [...]

I did USE=-semantic-desktop

emerge -C kdepimlibs kmail kaddressbook knotes konsolekalendar kjots ktimetracker kopete akregator klinkstatus  kalarm kdepim-common-libs kleopatra plasma-workspace libplasmaclock nepomuk blogilo kdepim-strigi-analyzer knode kget kontact kaddressbook korganizer kdepim-runtime app-office/akonadi-server dev-cpp/libcmis kde-base/akonadiconsole kde-base/kabcclient kde-base/kactivities kde-base/kdepim-kresources kde-base/kdeplasma-addons kde-base/kgpg kde-base/kuser kde-base/rocs kde-base/kdewebdev-meta

emerge -p -D --newuse world

I'm not sure if I got everything (it may a long process) but my system is faster.
It doesn't feel superfaster but it was fast before. :-)
It is worth streamlining kde/gentoo where possible.