KDE 4.7 System Requirements

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 00:39:59 GMT 2012

_ posted on Sun, 08 Jan 2012 01:02:02 +0100 as excerpted:

> I allocated 12 GB out of my total of 28 GB to FreeBSD which is more that
> enough for the operating system itself. But considering that Xorg in its
> entirety consumes about 4 GB already, adding another 2 or so GB for KDE
> would leave me relatively little room for other things.

4 gig for xorg?  As I said, my entire system installation, including the
base system, xorg, AND kde, only runs 3.1 gig (of a 4.8 gig system
partition, FWIW on a 5 gig md/RAID-1 with the other quarter-gig being
my local admin scripts, etc, on /usr/local).  So either you or FBSD has a
rather fat xorg, if it's taking well more than my entire system
installation including kde.

But yeah, if you're split down to 12 gigs allocated for FBSD including
user data (/home), that does impose a rather tight limit on what you
install, and I can see deciding to go with an older kde3 especially on
your older/slower/smaller hardware, over kde4.