KDE 4.7 System Requirements

Chuck Burns break19 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 23:01:49 GMT 2012

On 01/07/12 16:15, Duncan wrote:
> _ posted on Sat, 07 Jan 2012 16:35:39 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> I'm considering installing the KDE 4.7.4 version on my FreeBSD 8.2
>> system,
>> and I'd like to ask the community about the system requirements to make
>> it run:
>>
>> The base information for my system looks like this:
>>
>> Intel P4 1.8 Ghz CPU 512 MB of RAM Intel Onboard Graphics Chip
>>
>> Can anybody on this list give me any pointers as to the performance of
>> KDE under the above hardware setup? Moreover, how much diskspace will
>> KDE take?
>
> Nobody else has mentioned the FBSD angle.  I know kde still runs on FBSD,
> but don't know much else about that angle either except that as I'm
> following a couple xorg lists as well, I know that for newer systems at
> least, some of the graphics accel stuff works best with KMS, kernel
> modesetting, which is AFAIK Linux-only at this point.  So it may be that
> the older graphics isn't such a problem in this regard after all, since
> you'd have other problems with newer graphics.

"KMS only" Sorry, but no. Nvidia supports FreeBSD.  If you have an
nvidia card, you can easily have these graphics and full 3d acceleration.

I run KDE 4.7.3, on FreeBSD 9-stable, but I wouldn't dare do it with a
measly half a gig of ram. My box has 8G of ram.

But with an Intel gpu, you're not likely to have much luck with any
effects, unless you want to use the EXTREMELY experimental intel-only
KMS stuff that is being worked on. Here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU

But the ram is a limiting factor. Provided you do not enable nepomuk,
you -might- fare well.. but I still wouldn't want be to using that
machine...

--
Chuck Burns
The Southern Libertarian