xserver module missing from kcmshell4 in 4.9.90 in mageia

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Dec 14 20:34:03 GMT 2012

Felix Miata posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 01:47:26 -0500 as excerpted:

> On 2012-12-14 06:21 (GMT) Duncan composed:
>
>> Felix Miata posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:54:09 -0500 as excerpted:
>
>>> Is this intentional?
>
>> FWIW, I have it here in 4.9.90 on gentoo.
>
>> Do you have kinfocenter installed?
>
> I didn't think to check that until after clicking send, then I forgot I
> did.

That'd be a bug in humanity.  Probably marked in the celestial bugzilla
as "target bluesky", to be fixed with the code name "paradise" version
bump.

=:^/

> I don't use Mageia much (or KDE4 for that matter as KDE still hasn't
> fixed my personal blocker bugs 283366 & 158556, a big reason why not
> Mageia), and since this is Cauldron, I had no idea what to expect in
> doing a minimal install followed by installing the packages I knew I
> needed with urpmi --no-recommends.

Fortunately I don't have/need network mounting here (ssh into my netbook
from the workstation, using secure rsync and midnight commander's sftp
for file transfers to update and maintain the netbook from the
workstation's 32-bit gentoo chroot build environment, is about all the
remote access I do here), so 283366 doesn't affect me.

Manual panel hiding, bug 158556, *IS* an irritant here, but once I
figured out that a killall plasma-desktop eliminated the panel (along
with all of plasma-desktop, unfortunately, but...) when I needed it
temporarily, and that I could restart plasma-desktop from krunner when I
was done, it ceased to be a personal blocker.

(I actually setup hotkey launched scripts to do the kill and restart for
me, so now it's a matter of a pressing a few keys...  Then later, the
opengl-based zoom effect got good enough that I could use use original
resolution viewing windows and zoom in using that, rather than blowing up
the viewing window to 2X/4X/whatever, and I don't need to use the
admittedly rather drastic kill-plasma workaround so much any more.  But I
still keep the hotkeys for it and use it occasionally, and the lack of a
fast manual-panel-hide solution less drastic than killing plasma entirely
remains a major personal irritant and one of my biggest complaints about
plasma.)

>> kinfocenter is in turn part of the kde-workspace tarball as shipped by
>> upstream kde, so that's probably the package name if your distro ships
>> only the monolithic unsplit packages, one per tarball, not the
>> individual split packages in each tarball.
>
> Looks like Mageia's inherited Mandriva's un-bright splitting nuisance.

FWIW, there's a method to the madness, and kde itself is gradually
splitting up the formerly monolithic tarballs as well.  KDE frameworks,
aka kde5, is supposed to do away with the huge monolithic tarballs
(almost?) entirely.  Among other things, split individual kde apps and
libs packages allows people to use individual kde apps on other desktop
environments and even on MS without pulling in massive unnecessary
dependencies, if they don't choose to use a full kde desktop, or if they
switch between a full kde desktop and other alternatives.

Given your mention that you don't run kde as your default desktop due to
the personal blockers you mentioned, I'm a bit surprised you don't
appreciate such splitting a bit more.

I know I *DEFINITELY* appreciate it here on gentoo, since I actually
BUILD all the packages I install, and the splits mean I can omit building
parts of kde I don't use, while with the kde3 era's monolithic tarball
packages (gentoo/kde began splitting back in the 3.4 or early 3.5 era,
IIRC), if I wanted to use just one app from the monolithic tarball, say
one game from kdegames, I had to build the whole thing.  Now days it's
just the individual app and a couple libraries.

So I'm definitely looking forward to the more complete upstream kde
splits of frameworks! =:^)