folderview as default for all users

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Dec 9 11:47:28 GMT 2012

On Sunday, 2012-12-09, adrelanos wrote:
> Kevin Krammer:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Saturday, 2012-12-08, adrelanos wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I, as a distro developer (Whonix), want to make folderview the default
> >> for all users. (Right click on desktop -> Desktop Settings -> Layout ->
> >> Folder View) (I don't care if people change it later.)
> >>
> >> The distro is based on Debian. I am replacing the original
> >> /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js. The file
> >> originally looks like:

> > [snip]

> >> I am changing 'var activity = new Activity' to 'var activity = new
> >> Activity("folderview");'. That's it. Minor change.
> >>
> >> Is there a better way than replacing the file?
> >>
> >> Stacking the kde configuration files somehow? It didn't work for me.
> >> /etc/environment sets: 'KDEDIRS=/usr/local/share/whonix/kde/' and I
> >> placed the patched 00-defaultLayout.js into the stacked kde
> >> configuration folder. I.e.
> >> /usr/local/share/whonix/kde/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js
> >>
> >> Any idea why it's not working?
> >
> > Does the path appear in the output of
> > kde4-config --path data
>
> No.
>
> Output is:
>
> /home/user/.kde/share/apps/:/usr/local/share/whonix/kde/share/apps/:/usr/sh
> are/kde4/apps/
>
>                             /usr/local/share/whonix/kde/apps/ does not
> appear in th output of kde4-config --path data.
>
> Why not?

I think in general the paths are constructed by taking the prefix and then
appending certain subdirectories.
Have a look at the structure in the local prefix (usually ~/.kde)

At build time the paths for the installation prefix can be overriden, e.g.
config can be diverted to /etc and so on.

Maybe this is what you see here, install "data" being diverted to
/usr/share/kde/apps and your prefix handled in the standard way,
$prefix/share/apps

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring