Dashboard Wallpaper

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Aug 2 05:22:40 BST 2012

Doug posted on Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:52:04 -0400 as excerpted:

> On 08/01/2012 05:24 AM, hendrik wrote:

>> my dashboard all of a sudden has a background image.
>> I haven't found any setting mentioning this.
>> How can I make it have a transparent background again?
>>
> What's a dashboard?  I'm running KDE and I have a desktop and a "panel"
> or systray. AFAIK, I don't have a dashboard--and probably don't want
> one!

FWIW, the plasma "dashboard" is an activity (basically another desktop
full of plasmoid widgets) that's triggered with a special "dashboard"
hotkey, and/or by clicking the dashboard-plasmoid icon that can be added
to either an activity or a panel.

Plasma can be configured to either simply show the current desktop
activity as the "dashboard", in which case the "dashboard" functionality
is basically the same as the "show desktop" functionality, or with an
entirely separate "dashboard" activity that's not otherwise deployed.

See the dashboard dropdown in kde settings, workspace appearance and
behavior, workspace behavior, workspace.  That's where you configure
whether the "dashboard" is an independent activity (aka widget set) or
the normal desktop.

With widgets unlocked, you can add various plasmoids/widgets to either
the current desktop/activity or to a panel, and both "show desktop" and
"show widget dashboard" are available to be selected from the plasmoid/
widget browser, thus giving you a dashboard icon-click trigger.

Similarly, the keyboard shortcuts for both "show desktop" and "show
dashboard" are configurable, again in kde settings, but under common
appearance and behavior, shortcuts and gestures, global keyboard
shortcuts.  At least on the kde 4.9-rc2 I'm currently running, "show
desktop" is listed under the "kwin" kde component (in the dropdown),
while "show dashboard" is under "plasma desktop shell".

FWIW, here I don't use the dashboard much on my workstation as I've
enough screenspace I don't really need it -- the system monitor widgets I
run all fit in a panel at the top.  But on my netbook, I use it a LOT, as
screen space is MUCH more limited, so having the system monitors, systray,
etc, available on the "dashboard", triggered by (customized =:^) hotkey,
instead of on a panel that's constantly getting in the way and obscuring
part of the already too small display, is a very useful option to have!
=:^)

But while I know what it is, unfortunately I'm not in a real good
position to answer the original question.  I don't use the dashboard
regularly enough on my current-kde (4.9-rc2) workstation to really know
how it works there, and my netbook is still running the now nearly year-
and-a-half outdated kde 4.6, and I recently triggered some activity/
dashboard related bugs on it that I think are long since fixed in kde
current, when experimenting with adding/removing an external monitor and
expanding my desktop onto it.

However, what I /can/ say that might help /some/ is that I DID notice a
change in dashboard background at one point a few versions ago, I /think/
with kde 4.6 or so as I think my netbook already showed the newer
behavior.  The dashboard now seems to function as a semi-transparent
overlay, darkening the existing workspace when the dashboard is triggered
over top of it, so where there's no dashboard plasmoids/widgets, the
normal apps and desktop show thru, but darkened, with only any configured
dashboard plasmoids showing in normal color.  I *THINK* it had an opaque
background of its own before that, but I can't remember exactly how it
worked back then.

But I do know that had caused me a few issues on the netbook, as I had to
change the way I used the dashboard after that.  But before I really
investigated that too much I decided to see what plugging in an external
monitor would do, and that triggered some more bugs.  And since I know
it's so outdated anyway, I decided not to bother much more with it until
I updated it, at which point I had a number of changes I wanted to make
to the general config of the thing, and I've not gotten around to doing
all that yet...  So I don't really know what the current dashboard
behavior is, or even really what the 4.6 behavior was any more, since
those bugs screwed all that stuff up and I've not had time to deal with
it yet.

But I /can/ say the behavior has changed a bit over the kde versions
confirming /that/ part.  I just don't know what/how/if-it's-even-possible
to configure it back to the old behavior again.  So I can help the OP
with at least some general confirmation but not with a solution,
unfortunately, and not with too specific a comparison of my observed
behavior to his, either, since that's effectively broken for me ATM, just
at the general level. =:^(