The proper way to copy all datas and settings from one computer to another?

Maxime Haselbauer maxime.haselbauer at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 10 08:11:20 BST 2012

Hi all,

What is the right way to copy all datas and settings from one computer to another?
i.e
I have two computer one called netbook and another one called inspiron both 32 bit Kubuntu 11.10 Kde 4.8.x

I wanted to transfer everything from netbook to inspiron, also I used an external Hardrive where I store everything from ~/ of netbook (inclusvie hidden files)
and then I copy it from the hard drive to inspiron back

But apparently it is not troubleless

e.g In kmail. when I want to displace a file to the wastebin he tells me "the message 48213742r2.R449.netbook:2,S can not been diplaced". Or something like that (I am using the German version)

I just suspect there is a problem because the right name of the computer is inspiron and not netbook anymore
It is also troublesome with
    importing activities,
    akonadi ressources that are not automatically re-created etc..
    and a lot more ....

Also I guess it is not the proper way to do when one want to copy all its datas AND applications settings together on a new computer?