Shortcut Issue

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Sun Sep 18 19:28:05 BST 2011

Bios wrote, On 09/18/2011 10:17 AM:
> Hey
> How can I use left shift+right shift as a shortcut?
> It does not work simply through the system settings.

Durh, i didn't actually bother to verify whether the kcmshell4 keys
modifiers entries could be changed in that interface.  nope. So...

debian:~$ xmodmap -pm | grep shift
shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)

debian:~$ xmodmap -e 'remove shift = Shift_R'

debian:~$ xmodmap -pm
shift       Shift_L (0x32)

Hmm, looking in 'kcmshell keys', though the change didn't take,
as 'Shift' is still Shift_L and Shift_R.

# This looks promising from dcop...
debian:~$ dcop khotkeys khotkeys reread_configuration

Yup, that did it, khotkeys now consistent.

in KDE4, probably a call something like:

qdbus org.kde.khotkeys /khotkeys reread_configuration

might be needed.

You'd probably need to enter the xmodmap expression in

~/.xmodmaprc

(or such) as there is probably a call to read that in the
chain of X11 session startup prior to KDE starting.

Otherwise, i'm sure someone here knows some KDE specific
magic incantation to override the X11 modmap settings
specifically for what you're doing.

--stephen