KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Mon Sep 12 15:03:45 BST 2011

Tim Edwards writes:

> This particular plasmoid was downloaded by clicking the 'Get New
> Widgets..' button on the 'Add Widgets' dialog, so I would think it was
> as officially-blessed as any other that's available.

No, I believe those that already come with KDE are more official, and
better tested. Those that you download can be contributed by anyone, and
often they are new and not tested by anyone yet. My experience has been
that those often simply fail (sometimes due to missing stuff I would have
to install), sometimes make plasma crash, and I also experienced plasma
hanging like you did.

> I think it's more important that a plasmoid which freezes shouldn't
> also freeze the whole desktop.

That's just the way it is I'm afraid.

> You can't ensure the quality of plasmoids but surely someone can put a
> timeout of some kind in the plasma-desktop code so that calls to
> plasmoids don't wait forever for a response.

I don't know it this is possible for a single-threaded application, I
assume the answer is no. I do not think there is some sort of supervisor
that calls and controls the individual plasmoids. When a plasmoid's code
being executed, and that goes in an endless loop, it will stay, and
plasma will not react any further. At least that's my understanding.

	Wonko