KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:55:59 BST 2011

On Sunday 11 Sep 2011 Duncan wrote:
> Anne Wilson posted on Sun, 11 Sep 2011 18:35:32 +0100 as excerpted:
> > I take your point, but in truth, any well-written piece of code should
> > be able to exit gracefully if something fails.  If it can't, I'd rather
> > not run it at all.
>
> You're absolutely correct.  But the point is, one of the big selling-
> point features of plasma has been its extensibility... by coders who may
> in fact be rather bad at it, beginners or whatever.  In that sort of
> environment, you have to COUNT on some of the code being bad, because it
> is GOING to happen.  An app designed for that can't simply crash when one
> of the extensions goes bad, because it WILL heppen, and it WILL look bad
> for the main app as a result.  It MUST be designed to be robust and have
> the rest keep running in spite of whatever badly coded barf-code someone
> throws at it, or it wasn't so properly designed for that extensibility as
> it might seem to be after all.
>
> Which is the problem we have.
>
> So are you going to quit running plasma, then, because you'd "rather not
> run it at all"?  [Haha only serious.]
>
> [Caveats about not being a (C/C++) coder apply.  My skills tend more
> toward technical sysadmin, scripting, etc.  And /as/ a sysadmin that does
> at least speak some programming lingo, plasma is quite good in a lot of
> ways including its extensibility, but it could certainly be better in
> regard to robustness in view of that extensibility, is what I'm saying.]

By and large, when something goes wrong with plasma, it drops out, then
restarts, so you could say this is a real effort to deal with the problem.
Having no coding skills whatsoever, I can only guess at what could make a
plasmoid freeze everything.  I imagine that plasmoids that get official blessing
have had some code eye-over, but as you say, plasmoids are relatively easy to
write and distribute, so anything goes, I guess.

You can't safeguard against everything.  What, to me, is more important, is
that the author of that plasmoid should be told what is happening.  Most
applications have a contact email address for the author - I don't know
whether it is true of any plasmoids, but it's certainly not true of all of
them.  It should be.

Anne