proxy settings

Osvaldo Martin aloctavodia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 01:16:36 BST 2011

Thanks Ducan,

your answer and Kevin`s answer were really helpfull!

What I am going to do is to check if the user is using Linux* and In that
case I will try to get the proxy settings from http_proxy environment
variable or from gconf or from  kioslaverc. And if everything fail I will
ask the user to provided the correct proxy settings (I think this is a fair
solution because on one hand I think most linux users know what a proxy is
and on the other hand at least I tried to get things easier for them :-) )

Probably I will download a KDE distribution to test my code or at least I
will find someone using KDE (and willing to do a test for me).

* (I use a python library call mechanize, in Windows and Mac OsX, this
library reads the proxy setting from windows registry and some MacOsX
registry)