Bad DNS Query for Date & Time

Michael D. Berger m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 20:12:20 BST 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:08:41 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> I have a local ntp server, whose url is specified in /etc/hosts. Pinging
> it from my new CentOS 6 laptop works just file. Watching with WireShark,
> if I do /etc/init.d/ntpd restart, I see a successful ntp query and
> response.
>
> Now using KDE 4 on my new CentOS 6 laptop, using the "Date & Time
> [modified] - System Settings", I set time using my server. In WireShark
> I see a dns query asking for the address of:
> "settings-look-and-feel.desktop".  The dns response is: "No such name".
> How about that?
>
> Am I looking at a configuration error or a bug?
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> Mike.
[...]

It stopped doing it.  No more bad DNS queries.  So far as I
know, I did nothing to fix it.  However, as you may have seen
on gmane.linux.centos.general, I have lost the ability to
manage the network from KDE 4.  Also, for reasons unknown,
it is using the second NTP server, although I can ping the
first.

I'll keep you posted.

Mike.