Bad DNS Query for Date & Time

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Sep 1 19:17:42 BST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 1. September 2011 schrieb Michael D. Berger:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 07:27:16 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> WireShark is showing what look like real DNS queries.  It
> is true that I had my interface set to "any", which might
> support your suggestion that I am reading the bus, so I
> set the interface to eth0.  The problem persists.
>
> But in any case, I also get DNS responses to the bad queries
> from external locations such as 151.197.0.38, which ARIN
> identifies is a Verizon location, and which I can successfully
> ping. Therefore it would appear the DNS queries are real.
>
> Now I ran netstat as you suggested.  There is plenty there that
> makes me nervous, for example:
>    /var/run/dbus/system-bus-socket
>    /tmp/ksocket-root/kdeinit4__0
> and much more.  I would not be surprised if some internal socket
> were internally confused with eth0.

This is highly unlikely. as long as you don't tell, no process will
confuse file sockets with network sockets. This is such a basic unix
stuff that it is tested very well.

> netstat has numerous options,
> and I would be happy to receive suggestions on their use to get
> better information.

usually try -apt for tcp connections and -apu for udp connections (ntp
uses udp connections on port 123).

with the p switch you can show the process using the port/socket.

you have to identify the process starting the query and afterwards
check the configuration of this process. most likely this is wrong.

Martin