What is hijacking Konsole?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 23:00:28 GMT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:56, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> I agree and would likely use Ctrl-F here too, but imagine the frustration
> of 5-10 levels of replies... before it's discovered that the two sides
> aren't even talking about the same shortcut!
>
> After a few years of list and (news)group based troubleshooting one tends
> to learn to play "spot the assumption" and enumerate them to the degree
> possible in the first couple levels of replies.  Often the logic tree
> branches so heavily that the first reply or two are either very long (my
> tendency), artificially stubbed  (I'll do this too, but generally only
> with what I judge to be the lower likelihood candidates), or short, but
> full of unproven assumptions that must all match up or it's simply multi-
> hundred-possibility scattershot.

I see! Jaded, are we? :)

> What's the most frustrating, tho, are posts that simply don't contain
> enough data to even begin to attack the problem.  If it's going to be
> three levels in before the problem domain can even begin to be
> defined...  Fortunately, those aren't so common, but they do appear.  I'm
> thinking of one guy, a medical Doctor IIRC, who might have been quite
> skilled indeed in the medical domain, but who just did /not/ understand
> what I'd consider even quite basic computer domain material.  What made
> it worse was that this guy, clearly out of his depth, was running Gentoo,
> and would come back time after time to the Gentoo lists with various
> questions.  After about the fifth time of 20+ level deep discussions
> before the problem is resolved, 10+ level deep before it's even
> reasonably defined, one really begins to wonder how in the world they
> ended up on a power user distro like gentoo in the first place.  But at
> the same time, I had to give the guy major points for persistence.  I can
> only hope if I ever come down with some rare disease that I get a doctor
> so doggedly persistent!  But, we generally did resolve whatever issue he
> was posting about... eventually.

Yes, I would actually venture to say that _most_ of the people that I
have seen get in over their heads with Linux or some other software
are the people who are _very_ successful at something else, usually
with degrees. It is probably part of the attack-all-problems attitude
that they are used to success. It is reasonable to assume that their
first few months in their own field were no less difficult than the
first few months with Linux. Then they succeed!

> Meanwhile, I appreciate your Hebrew touch (and the fact that it "just
> works" here, too, no unknown-glyph squares, etc, that it even works is
> still a marvel to me). =:^)

Yeah, I don't know why I did that, just being silly! Unless you are
using mutt I would actually expect it to Just Work (tm) nowadays.

>> That is one that I did not think to check. Thanks.
>
> Chalk that suggestion up to specific experience.  That's why I was so
> specific with the LO/OOo example, as someone posted a problem not long
> ago that turned out to be exactly that, a broken LO/OOo association and
> the rather strange and unexpected behavior that resulted!  As I don't
> have it installed that would have been pretty far down my list of
> possibilities and it was fortunate coincidence that connection was
> found.  But once found, it definitely got put on my list of possibilities
> to check for, as this clearly demonstrates. =:^)

Are you referring to the Rekonq crasher?

> Ahh, those personal assumptions so deeply embedded that one is entirely
> blind to even their very existence!
>
> Spotting and challenging that specific sort of assumption blindness seems
> to be a particular strength of newsgroups/mailinglists, a fact that
> probably goes quite some way toward explaining why I'm so addicted to
> 'em, given the rare chance they offer to look into that otherwise hidden
> to me, but transparent to others, side of myself, and to watch the same
> process of self-discovery as it happens to others as well. =:^)

Proud parent? Even if a bit jaded ?!? :)

>> The truth is, I would have never found it if Zorael had not mentioned
>> it. I had set up and used xbindkeys so long ago and stopped using it in
>> my previous install. For some reason (I think that I know why, actually)
>> it got reenabled in the new install but with this default config that
>> had never popped up before. I would have never located that.
>
> That's another strength of newsgroups/mailinglists.  Get a few people
> together on a list/group, and it's astonishing just how many strange
> corner-cases are covered between the lot of 'em! =:^)

Definitely, I have seen that a lot.

> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

Actually, that is true for the free programs too! Could _I_  ever
replace Aaron Siego if he were to just disappear some day?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com