What is hijacking Konsole?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Oct 31 04:35:21 GMT 2011

On Monday, October 31, 2011 12:26:18 AM Duncan did opine:

> Dotan Cohen posted on Mon, 31 Oct 2011 00:33:13 +0200 as excerpted:
> > On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 22:58, Zorael <zorael at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Are you running xbindkeys? At least on *buntus, it's set up by
> >> default to launch xterm on Ctrl+F.
> >>
> >> Quoth .xbindkeysrc;

> > Wow, you're right! Who is the genius who thought to hijack Ctrl-F,
> > which is "Find" in almost every application!?!
>
> So I was correct with the global-grab and non-kde theories! =:^)
>
> But I was somewhat thrown off by the assumption that someone would have
> tested that keystroke in other apps, before posting a question about it
> that blamed the problem on konsole.  Still, while specific window
> global- level-grabs (perhaps specific-window X-level is a better
> description here, since the grabs aren't really global, tho the would
> be if not limited to a specific window) are indeed possible, since
> they're less common, I was forced to assume that either that testing
> had NOT taken place, or a rather less common grab mode was being used,
> and my proposed tests reflected the fact that I wasn't sure of that
> assumption.  So it threw me off only slightly, and the test results
> would have confirmed the fallacy of that assumption, bringing us right
> back on course toward a trace-down.
>
> As for "hijacking" Ctrl-f, while modern x86 keyboards generally have a
> meta/super/hyper/windows/linux key that due to its relatively recent
> invention, doesn't show up on so many app-level key-bindings, so it's a
> relatively safe key to use for global bindings, apps that don't assume
> it exists (or is configured correctly), as xbindkeys apparently
> doesn't, don't have the luxury of using that key for global bindings
> and thus avoiding the standard, often already bound, control/alt/shift
> modifier combos.
>
> As a result there's bound to be conflicts when such bindings are global-
> grabbed, and the author was forced to either ship with few if any
> global- grabs active by default, or to assume that a user advanced
> enough to go looking for and installing a global-grab hotkey app, would
> also be advanced enough to look over the default grabs and deactivate
> or modify the ones that didn't suit his purposes.
>
> It seems both his assumption, that anyone advanced enough to go looking
> for and install such an app would immediately check the config and
> modify it to their own purposes, and mine, that anyone trying to trace
> strange key behavior would test it in more than one app before posting,
> blaming it on a single app, were both incorrect.
>
> Oh, well...
>
> At least the problem was traced and corrected, tho.  That's the
> important bit! =:^)

Considering I'm running kde-4.6.5 here on pclos, I just tested mine and a
plain ctl+f does indeed bring up the find bar.  So this might be a distro
specific thing.  But I'll also submit that the use of "genius" was
obviously satirical. ;p)  Whomever did that is I trust suitably chastised
by now.  Ditto for grabbing mc's f-keys.  Inexcusable, and should be the
subject of a session with a LART out behind the barn IMO. IIRC those have
come back, but don't recall which update did it now.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.