Home Directory KDE config files

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Wed Oct 26 13:02:56 BST 2011

On 10/26/2011 11:38 AM, Bogus Zaba wrote:
> Slackware 13.37, KDE4.5.5.
>
> Is there another location (other than the .kde folder) where kde
> config files are kept?
>
> My standard way of recovering from "kde won't start" has failed me
> since this is based on restoring a previously good .kde folder in
> place of the existing one that is causing problems. Now I have a
> failure of startup of KDE (but other users and other window managers
> for the same user start up fine).
>
> Symptoms are: Spalsh screen shows, but no progress with the icons
> which should slowly appear. Dumped back to console where I see:
> "
> startkde: Starting up...
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
> kded(3521): Communication problem with "kded" , it probably crashed.
> Error message was  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : "The
> name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files" "
> "
>
> This all started when KDE crashed when I foolishly tried to add a
> "Launcelot" application launcher widget to my desktop. I already had a
> "Quicklauncher" widget, but on trying to configure the new widget,
> screen went black and I had to ctrl-alt-BS to close X and get back to
> a console.
>
> Thanks
Possible further clue as top what has gone wrong: When I try to run a
KDE app (dolphin, knoqueror etc) from within xfce, I get :
Code:

QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme
Bus error

I think it is the Bus Error that is significant because if I do the same
thing for as another user who has not got the broken kde, you still see
the QGtkStyle error (and a whole lot more messages too) but then the
dolphin window opens OK.