exporting from kmail (Was: Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Nov 30 04:41:17 GMT 2011

gene heskett posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:01:23 -0500 as excerpted:

> I may have hit what is almost a show-stopper with claws.  There appears,
> from the .pdf of the docs I found, no way to have another script send it
> a check mail command.  And while I did find an auto-check option in the
> preferences menu, it doesn't read as doing what I need it to do, or the
> docs maybe are a bit old?  kmail from 4.6.5, even from the 3.5.0+, has
> had a dbus socket that works very well indeed using this line from my
> ~/bin/mailwatcher script:
> Cmd define (word wrapped):
> Cmd="/usr/lib/qt4/bin/qdbus org.kde.kmail /KMail
> org.kde.kmail.kmail.checkMail"
>
> Invocation later in the script after having verified that kmail is
> indeed running and there is new mail in /var/spool/mail/gene:
> $cmd
>
> Is this dbus port indeed on the missing list?

I'm not aware of a dbus command for it -- that doesn't mean it doesn't
exist, I just never looked for it, but there's definitely a scripted
solution possible, as claws, like many mh-format mail clients, is
designed with exactly that sort of scripted extensibility in mind.

There's one way that I know for sure of, because I used it after I ran
the import script as described in an earlier post.  But that's not ideal
for this particular situation, which as I said I've never looked into, so
I'd rather go looking and give you a better answer later, than to give
you this suboptimal solution now.

But as I said, I know it's possible, both because claws was designed for
precisely this sort of extensibility and because I happen to know an
indirect way of doing it already, based on what I have done.