trash-basket is striking ...

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Nov 25 02:38:32 GMT 2011

SchmiTTT posted on Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:44:14 +0100 as excerpted:

> After Alt-F2 and kdesu dolphin the attempt to delete files in /usr/src
> (files of old kernel) is then hanging.
>
> Window of trash opens, but moving balk is hanging then and nothing is
> deleted.
>
> After Alt-F2 and kdesu konqueror the attempt to delete files is working.
> But trash-basket is then full and emptying trash-basket is not working.
> Here moving balk is hangig too and nothing is deleted too.
>
> What is helping against this ?

The following is my method.  Not everybody's the same, however, and I
recognize that as they say, "YMMV".

Well, I haven't found a way to fully disable trash (if I wanted to MOVE
the files to a backup, I'd MOVE them to a backup, when I want to delete,
I want to DELETE them, not MOVE them, to trash or anywhere else), here,
but I reassigned the keyboard shortcuts so send-to-trash doesn't have one
and (for most apps) regular delete is just that, delete, not trash.
Additionally, I have the GUI set to offer me the delete option (for both
konqueror and dolphin, that's in settings, configure dolphin/konqueror,
general, context-menu tab), and to confirm for both delete (delete
confirmation, in case I accidentally hit delete, is enough) and trash (so
if I ever hit it by accident, I can cancel and delete instead, confirm
options are again in the general config, but on the behavior tab).

Meanwhile, I have trash settings set as small as possible, 0.001% (which
on a 16-gig /home is still ~167 KB) and delete after the minimum possible
time (a day) set, so if anything ever does get into trash, it doesn't
stay there long.

That first bit, that I've as much as possible disabled trash, deleted its
shortcuts, and set the delete shortcut to do just that, DELETE, NOT
TRASH, is interesting in context, as:

You complain about deleting files but then talk about trash getting in
the way!  You're obviously not deleting them, but rather, trying to send
them to trash, which doesn't "delete" them at all, at least not until
trash is emptied or overflows its settings.

In effect, you're MOVING (or attempting to, at least) the files, not
DELETING them!

So... the most obvious solution would be, if you're trying to DELETE the
files, actually DELETE them, don't MOVE them to trash.  Of course, to
even have that option (at least in the context menu, I think the delete
hotkey if configured still works without it) you have to configure it to
show up.

#####

As for moving to trash, obviously with kdesu, you're taking on root's
role.  As such, there's permissions issues involved.  Obviously, neither
konqueror nor dolphin are setup to properly deal with them over kdesu.

#####

As for file management in general, at least here, I find I do file
management in one of two roles, either an admin role, or a user role.  In
the user role I'm doing user-ish things, primarily organizing media
files.  For that, something like dolphin/konqueror is OK, but for
graphics at least (either still image or video), I prefer gwenview.
(Gwenview doesn't even see audio files such as mp3s and oggs,
unfortunately, or I could use it for all my user-role file management.)

Pretty much any other file management, however, including of non-media
user files, is done in admin mode.  For this mode of file management, I
*MUCH* prefer something like the ncurses-based semi-gui mc, aka midnight
commander.  It's still GUI enough to be useful managing files and its
builtin text-editor and virtual filesystems are GREAT.  But a big
difference is that it runs in a konsole window or at a text-based login
outside of X, so there's not all those icons to load and as a result it's
faster for some things, AND, it's equally useful for admin-role file
management outside of X, say when X or KDE is broken and won't start, and
you need to edit a few files to get it working again.

Obviously, pretty much anything requiring root, deleting kernel files in
/usr/src/ definitely included, is going to be admin role, and something
like mc just seems to work much better for that sort of thing than
konqueror or dolphin.

Of course as I said, YMMV, but if you're not already familiar with mc,
consider installing it if necessary, and playing around with it a bit.
You might be rather pleasantly surprised at just how simple yet powerful
such an app can be, and how much more effective you can be using it for
"admin role" file management, than using a full GUI like konqueror or
dolphin. =:^)

But I'll readily admit, while it can still be made to work, a semi-gui
such as mc just doesn't fit so well for user role file management,
dealing with media files such as images/video, especially.  A big
screwdriver can occasionally be used as a hammer if need be, but it just
doesn't work as well as a hammer if a hammer's what you need.  The right
took for the right job, and mc's a very good tool for admin-role file
management, while dolphin/konqueor/gwenview/etc are more appropriate for
user-role file management.

Again, YMMV, but that's what works best, for me. =:^)