considering a jump to centos-6

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Nov 22 06:15:32 GMT 2011

gene heskett posted on Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:40:23 -0500 as excerpted:

> But the kde there is 4.3.5, not the best by a stretch.
>
> Back in the kde-3 days there was a konstruct utility that worked fairly
> well, and I used that several times on a fedora box
>
> Is there such a beast that would build and install 4.6.5 on a 64 bit
> centos-6 box?

There's a couple scripted build methods available.  Note that I use
Gentoo so haven't used these, and that kde has only recently switched
mostly to git, so to some extent these scripts may be in transition as
well, but here's the links:

General page (see that disclaimer):

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build

In particular (an anchor further down the same page):

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build#Scripted_Builds

There's quite a bit more linked from there or available by simply
wandering around techbase in general.

Meanwhile, some months ago I was helping someone try to build and
install, maybe it was 4.5.x at that point (only kdelibs, but once kdelibs
installs, the rest is far easier, since kdelibs sets the base for
everything else and has similar dependencies), on a CentOS, I believe it
was 5.x, so even older.  He was running into quite a few version-too-low
issues on dependencies and was building them from scratch as well.
However, he made quite some progress over several days, conquering one
problem at a time, and I believe ultimately must have gotten it
installed, as he seemed pretty close by the last.  He'd ask questions
about what was required, listing what he had, and I'd look up the Gentoo
dependencies to see what the minimum they required for their building
was.  Together, with help from others at times as well, we surmounted a
number of obstacles, with him either building the required versions, or
for at least one, passing an configure option so it didn't build the
component that would have required that dependency.

However, as an alternative, you may find either the binary rpms or the
srpms as available on sites like rpmfind.net will work better for you,
with the srpms at least helping navigate the dependency issues if you end
up using them to build from sources.  Years ago when I was back on
Mandrake, I used rpmfind a *LOT*, often installing various rpms from
rawhide, etc, on Mandrake, since rawhide was the only thing with rpms of
the quite new versions I wanted, available.

Good luck whichever way you go.  You may need it. =:^\  (Actually, not so
much luck, as quite some patience and persistence, tackling and
overcoming one problem at a time.)  OTOH, as I said, I've not used those
scripts.  Perhaps they're actually better than I'm thinking, and it'll be
set it up and come back a half day to perhaps 3 days later, depending on
the speed of your system and how many dependencies you need to build as
well, to have it all built and installed. =:^)