Questions about Centos-6

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Nov 19 02:45:26 GMT 2011

gene heskett posted on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 05:10:52 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Friday, November 18, 2011 05:04:52 AM Duncan did opine:
>
>> gene heskett posted on Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:05:08 -0500 as excerpted:
>> > Specifically, how hard is it to install sth in the kde-4.6.5 range
>> > onto Centos-6, 64 bit?
>>
>> I'm not a CentOS authority, but one of the big differences you're
>> looking at is hal.  With kde 4.5 and previous, kde used hal.  With
>> 4.6+, it uses udev/upower/udisks instead.

>> Actually, 4.6 had some unfortunate regressions early on, tho by 4.6.5
>> they were generally fixed and/or had workarounds

> 4.6.5 seems to be running well here.

=:^)

> Is there still a konstruct utility
> that was used back around kde-3 to download, build and install it?

I have no clue on that.  Gentoo has its own build-scripts, which have
worked quite well since they got all the early kde4 bugs worked out (by
4.3 or so).  They allow a much finer package-splitting than the make from
bare source tarballs do.  In fact, that was the biggest problem with
early kde4, gentoo-side, getting all the splits and interdependencies
worked out, but it works well now, and allows one to pick and choose at a
much finer level what's built and installed, with dependency resolution
even, than simply doing make from the bare tarballs.

There's even gentoo/kde package scripts available for live-trunk and live-
current branch (would be the to-be 4.8, and 4.7 branch, currently), tho
of course on live-trunk, they get temporarily out of sync sometimes as
stuff moves around, until the script is updated to point to the new
location. =:^)