Konsole fonts: just a jump o the left

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Nov 17 13:08:15 GMT 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:16:57 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:28, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>> Long time ago. Don't remember whether bug filed in a distro or in KDE,
>> but got fixed. I looked and couldn't find it. Did you try a different
>> font family with similar result, like Droid Sans Mono or DejaVu Sans
>> Mono?
>>

> Most of the fonts do suffer this, and all the legible ones. There do
> exits fonts (FreeMono for instance) which do not suffer.

That's... strange.

Could you per chance check to see if the font type is at fault?  IOW, see
if if all the bad (or all the good) ones are truetype, or PS type-1, or
PS type-2, or bitmapped fonts only, or...  Of course, that entails
rooting around in your font dirs and mapping the fonts in the list to the
actual files, but it could help pin down the problem.

Also, try temporarily disabling font anti-aliasing and hinting, and see
if that helps.  If it does, you could turn it back on and try playing
with the detailed config.  And while you're there, you might as well try
toggling DPI forcing too, between disabled, 96, and 120, tho I don't
expect dpi to make a difference other than in the size they show up, but
then, this is a strange bug, so...

FWIW, these font controls can be found in kde settings, common appearance
and behavior, application appearance, fonts, at the bottom.  These
settings often apply to newly started apps only and particularly with
this bug, perhaps only with an X restart, so the best way to check would
be to change the setting and then logout of kde and restart X, just to be
sure.