after upgrade to F16 kde 4.7.3, can't see any email

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Nov 14 06:23:05 GMT 2011

Sérgio Basto posted on Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:35:43 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hi,
> After upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7 , kmail don't show any email I got 3 pop
> accounts
>
> I stop akanodi do:
> rm -rf  ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/*
>

> and pop accounts appears as status offline kmail folders Synchronizing
> (0%)
>
> well , very disappointed again after an upgrade of kde, lose hours and
> hours...

FWIW, I ultimately switched to claws-mail.  It's faster than kmail even
before it was akonadified, definitely more reliable than kmail after
akonadification, and at least as configurable if not more so, in terms of
hotkeys, mail filtering, external command integration, etc.  The
conversion wasn't exactly smooth, but then the akonadified kmail couldn't
handle its own upgrade and conversion exactly smoothly either, so the
only loss was that I had to fix things manually multiple times since I
tried running the akonadi version first (and had to fix its conversion
manually as well) before decided it simply wasn't reliable enough to
handle my mail satisfactorily even after I /had/ completed the
conversion.  (Only after switching to claws-mail did I realize how badly
akonadi was weighing down the system as well, getting rid of it was like
a 500 MHz upgrade on my quad-core, or getting a couple extra cores as a
bonus, and that's running six gigs RAM!  I guess I know what the MS folks
trying Linux feel like now, when they discover how badly the real-time
anti-virus, etc was weighing them down!)

Of course, YMMV as they say, but for me at least, making that switch was
one of the best decisions I've made since I decided I had to dump
eXPrivacy and switch to Linux! =:^)

OTOH, I guess I can't complain too much as kmail gave me nearly a decade
of good service, since kde2 era, before they apparently decided they had
to "fix" what was working just fine the way it was.  If claws-mail does
similarly, I can only count myself lucky. =:^)