How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop?

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 11:49:49 BST 2011

----- Original Message ----

I'm on a number of forums that top post normally but I can try and remember to
switch on here. Rambling yes but the post does indicate several ways of cracking
the egg and why activities may be of use to some if not all. I would also hope
that it may help others to give changes a chance rather than not even attempting
to use them.

I've avoided dual monitors so far. Many use one as a sort of launch point and
another for actually working within but it can be useful to mix that a little in
the interests of real estate. Task bars are likely to always fit in nicely for
people who use just one monitor.

I run a 22ins monitor at  1680x1050 that's been with me for many years. About 9
I think. Now hd tv's are available I am wondering about moving in that direction
but there really isn't much of a gain in resolution so it's a question of just
how big one can go before the dot size/spacing becomes a problem. I run the
monitor at 100dpi which produces nice tight clear text. that is a little small
for ageing eyes without some aid. At some point I intend to play with this and x
scaling to see just how large I can go before things get objectionable. There is
even another possible gain from using a TV. My graphics card has an hdmi output
which means it's possible to gain a decent sound system as well all in the same
unit.. Just how well it will work from a distance of under a couple of feet
though is questionable.

Back to the topic - nearly. There is one person kicking about that refers to the
thing in the top right corner as a hemroid. I might add that as I eat cashew
nuts regularly in some respect I agree with him. He just wants kde 3.x and will
not give anything else a chance. However a cashew is a rather poor description.
I'm a little disappointed to see kde drifting off in this direction. It happens
because in real terms it is just a method of showing the same things in a
different manner and quaint names crop up as a result as it makes them newer and
supposedly more exciting. This sort of thing doesn't really help new comers at
all as exciting as it may seem. Widgets fall into a similar vein really but in
this case the term is meaningful.

It's interesting to note that for all I know a cashew might be something
entirely different and not the hemroid which just goes to show how useful a name
it really is.

John