Info request on menu's recently used list

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat May 14 20:59:38 BST 2011

On Saturday, May 14, 2011 03:44:03 PM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Sat, 14 May 2011 10:01:49 -0400 as excerpted:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > How can I increase the number of common apps that show up in the
> > recently used portion at the top of the text style kde menu?
>
> Text-style kde menu?
>
> > This current method apparently only keeps time stamp order, and by the
> > time I have done half of my daily activities, the run once per boot
> > stuff, because they run 24/7, apps have scrolled off the bottom of the
> > list & I have to search through the menu's subdirs to find them again.
> >
> > One feature I loved/hated about the later kde3 was that if you used a
> > common set of apps, the list was kept over a reboot, so rerunning such
> > as kmail, gkrellm and a few shells here & there were automatically
> > restored as part of the kde startup dance.  That appears to be no
> > more, or I have that option turned off someplace I can't find.
> >
> > If it is available, how can I re-enable this behavior?
>
> There are three "application launcher" menu style plasmoids available in
> kde by default, with others likely available from kdelook.org.  However,
> I'd not call any of them "text style", as they all have icons and text
> (name/description/both depending on your prefs).
>
> Kickoff is the one that appears on the default panel.  It has a
> search-box at the top, a row of icons
> (favorites/apps/computer/recently-used/leave) across the bottom, and a
> center menu area that changes depending on which of the bottom icons is
> selected.
>
> If you context-click on that with widgets unlocked, it'll let you change
> to the classic style menu, or you can add another "Application Launcher
> Menu" using the normal add-widgets functionality.

And the first thing I did was set it for classic style, about 10 seconds
afterb the initial boot of this install...

> Note that the label and icon difference between these is very small.  In
> the widget list, one appears as "application launcher" (this is the new-
> style kickoff), the other as "application launcher menu" (the classic
> menu), both with the same K/gear icon.  One other difference is that the
> description for the "classic" menu has the keyword "traditional" while
> the other one doesn't.
>
> The third option is lancelot.  This one's somewhat different, with a
> layout initially looking like kickoff, but working differently and with
> different main categories, emphasizing email/IM contacts and unread
> messages, etc, in a separate category.  The add widget list has a wine
> glass icon (the holy grail... lancelot... get it?) for this.  Its
> interactivity design allows no-click (beyond the initial click-to-menu-
> open) access, thru the use of little launcher arrows that launch that
> item if only hovered.  This one's definitely not my style, so I'll
> leave it at that.

T'wouldn't be mine either.  Since I have used KDE since about 1.5, I guess
you could call me old school. ;-)

> Of the three menu types, the classic menu is definitely most flexible in
> the number of configuration options offered.  Individual categories can
> be activated/deactivated as desired from it's context menu, which makes
> it nice for adding various quick-access single-purpose menus, like the
> bookmarks menu (classic menu with only the bookmarks menu activated) I
> have configured right next to my kickoff menu.
>
> But most of interest here, the classic menu allows configuring the
> number of recently used apps that appear in its recently used menu.  It
> defaults to the same 5 as kickoff, but the spinbox lets you set it
> higher, if desired. =:^)
>
> As an alternative, the Favorites menu, available from both kickoff and
> the classic menu (if so configured), is user configurable.

That is I believe the one I am using, teeny icons to the left of a line of
text "web browser"(=FireFox) for instance.

> In the apps
> menu on both kickoff and classic, you can context-click on an app and
> get the option to add it to the favorites menu.

I just found that since I posted, but not by that path description.

> Likewise,
> context-clicking on an app in the favorites menu gives you the option
> to remove it.  This isn't recently used, but it does give you a quick
> way to access the apps you want, without having to go thru the apps
> menu subdirs to find it.

Exactly what I'm looking for I believe.  Or at least close enough for the
girls I go with at my age.

> Yet another alternative is to simply type a bit of the name or
> description in the search box at the top of the kickoff menu.  Pausing
> after three typed characters, the menu quickly changes to display
> matches only.  As the search box is focused when the menu is opened,
> you can simply hit the hotkey you have configured to open kickoff and
> start typing, without using the mouse at all.

Never tried that.  If there is a hotkey for that configured, maybe that is
what is screwing up the F-keys for mc?

> krunner can of course be used similarly, typing in just a few letters
> and letting it do a match.  Again, simply hitting the krunner hotkey
> and typing should get the desired result.

Thanks for the speedy reply, I believe it will address the issue (other
than something is stealing the first few F keys from mc, forcing me to use
the mouse.  That sound?  Its the sound of my favorite ox being gored.  In
the future, whatever keys mc asks for should be granted provided it has
focus.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)