A week of KDE4 usage

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed May 11 17:37:06 BST 2011

On Wednesday, 2011-05-11, Duncan wrote:
> Kevin Krammer posted on Wed, 11 May 2011 17:14:42 +0200 as excerpted:
> > Software Compilation might not be a very good term for meaning
> > "simulationous release of new versions of all products", but there was
> > little (if at all) precendence in this area to go along with.
> > Maybe Software Bundle or Collection would have been better.
>
> Thanks for the (gentle) correction on compilation vs collection.  They're
> obviously essentially synonymous to me in this context or I'd have not
> made that mistake.

The use of compilation was correct, I was just pointing out that one of these
synonyous terms had be picked and compilation won.
Obviously individual tastes differ.

> But I still think it's a Freudian slip in terms of retargeting.  It
> explains /so/ much about the early kde4.  (I just deleted a whole section
> repeating material that's been done to death so many times by now... it's
> not going to help repeating it at this point.)

Part of the emphasising different products more individually is of course
reaching new target groups.
The old,unfortunate use of one term for referring to several entities caused
effect where e.g. people would mistakingly assume that one kind of products by
KDE (applications) could only be used together with another product (desktops
workspace).

So the initial need for a differentiation in names for different end user
products made it viable to also introduce the platform as a product targetting
application developers.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring