A week of KDE4 usage

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Wed May 11 12:46:10 BST 2011

Duncan writes:

> Anne Wilson posted on Wed, 11 May 2011 09:57:19 +0100 as excerpted:
> > On Tuesday 10 May 2011 00:49:49 Alex Schuster wrote:
> >> Automatic spell checking stopped working in 4.4.4, and still does not
> >> work.
> > 
> > It's no longer set in KMail, but in System Settings > Locale.  It works
> > for me

I thought this setting is the default only? Anyway, it's activated there and 
in KMail. I have German and American English as preferred languages.

I just created a fresh test account, activated spell checking and tried in 
KMail. Same result, no spell checking. Even when I choose Extras -> Spell 
check, nothing happens.

I don't worry much about this though. It's just one more bug I experience. 
I'll ask on the Gentoo-User list if people there have similar experiences... 
but hey, Duncan just also replied, so I'll reply to his mail instead.

BTW, when switching back to my normal user, the system was swapping and it 
took > 10 seconds until I got the user / password dialog to unlock the 
desktop. Until then, I had a clear view of the desktop.

> FWIW, it's working (and has been all along) here on Gentoo with, now kde
> 4.6.3, too.
> But I'm running ~arch with the kde and x11 overlays, always
> emerge --update --deep --newuse, and always etc-update, revdep-rebuild
> and emerge --depclean after I've finished updating.  It's quite possible
> that particularly the revdep-rebuilds, but also the --deep updates and
> the fact that I run ~arch, have all the versions and dependencies synced
> so it's working for me, where it might not be for those on stale^H^Hble
> who aren't so meticulous about keeping all their dependencies updated
> and revdep- rebuilt.

I do the same except for revdep-rebuild which I do not run that often sinde 
Gentoo's preserved-rebuild feature. It usually finds it has noting to do 

Update: I just started a new mail message, and suddenly the automatic spell 
checking works! I had changed the default from American English to German 
before. When I select English again, it's not working.

On the test account, it's still not working. I have only the German language 
to choose there, although American English is enabled in systemsettings.

The KMail composing window also looks different on that account. There I 
have 'Dictionary', 'To', and 'Subject', here on my normal account I have 
'Identity', 'Reply-To', 'To', 'Copy' and 'Subject'.

Whatever. It's not an important feature for me.

This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.

More information about the kde mailing list