A week of KDE4 usage

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Tue May 10 22:43:50 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer writes:

> On Tuesday, 2011-05-10, Alex Schuster wrote:
>
>> I never used a distribution list with kontact, so I tried this for
>> myself. I created a new contact group 'Testgroup' in kaddressbook and
>> added some people with their e-mail addresses. Kmail then knows about
>> this Testgroup (it auto-completes it) - great, I think before KDE 4.6
>> addressbook and kmail did not exchange their data, Kmail did not know
>> about the people in the address book.
>
> KMail had access to the addressbook from some version of the KDE2 cycle.
> KAddressBook, KMail (and other applications, e.g. Kopete) basically read the
> same files.

But I rememer that auto-completion in Kmail did not work for addresses
in Kaddressbook, and I'm pretty sure I read about this in a bug report.
And that it's fixed now, which I can confirm. My friend who quit KDE4
also experienced this problem, but with a rather old version of KDE4 at
that time.

>> But when I send a test mail,
>> nothing happens. It turned out that the mail is being sent to
>> Testgroup at myhost.my.domain, and not to the members. This seems to be a
>> known bug that was already fixed, but it's happening again. [1]
>
> Could be a problem with the Nepomuk setup.
> It might not be running or it might not have told about the contacts.

At least Kmail autocompletes the name.

>> So I had to first add the system tray plasmoid, then I could
>> get the password and downlaod the file.
>
> Just for future occasions:
>
> kioclient copy ftp://someserver/somefile /some/local/dir

Hmm, normally I do not know the name of 'somefile'. But I did not know
about kioclient, that's a nice utility that will come handy I think!

>> BTW, I wouldn't have been able
>> to download it with dolphin anyway [3], because it has German umlauts in
>> the file name.
>
> Might depend on the way your access FTP. If you have an ftp:// URL there won't
> be any problem no matter of character, because they needs to be encoded
> anyway.

I have an ftp://user@host/directory/ URL, the file name I don't know
until I look into this directory. Dolphin shows the file with the
correct name (including the umlaut), but insists the file does not exist
when I try to download it. gftp show the file name in the remote folder
as empty, but it is able to download the file. Dolphin now replaces the
umlaut in the local file with a question mark in a black diamond, and
still is not able to do anything with it.

My system is UTF8, the files with umlauts are latin1. The shell also
does not show the umlaut in the file name, it is replaced by two
question marks. But I can access it by using tab completion or
wildcards. Or I convert it with convmv -f latin1 -t utf8.

	Wonko