Spread desktop on television - 4.6.0 problems

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 19:41:17 BST 2011

Noticing the comments about 4.6.0 has anyone any specific info

on problems with it? I'm running that at release 6 on kernel
2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop x86_64. In general terms I haven't had
any problems at all except is one specific activity and that's the general
kpackager.area.

Specifically

Offered an update that included suse 11.4 updates. Rather odd as there
weren't any in the official suse repo's. Accepted eventually out of
curiosity. The results were so disastrous that I re installed.

Offered updates that bombed out due to dependanceis before the one
above.

Tried to set kmail to play a sound as an email notification. Didn't work
and a helper popped up want to install 4 identical gstreamer versions.
Accepted and it bombed out for obvious reasons. Later it popped up
and offered the same 4. Selected 1 for install and it again bombed out
for the same reason as before - too many to install. Suspect it was
already installed. At this point I had already disabled kpackager.

Never sure what to do about this sort of thing. Bug - no it's junk and
clearly hadn't aught to be there until it's a lot more capable of doing
it's job. It's odd really as even in 3,x kpackager would sometimes be
ok but could also would install and miss dependancies or break others
from time to time.

So what else is bad about 4.6.0. Some on the suse forum are skipping
it. Some seem happy with 4.6.2. I'm using an nvidia driver but there
is a note in the suse release notes for 11.4 about that complete with
a fix.

I also tried 32bit but did conclude that there was something odd about
that. Missed mouse clicks but no crashes etc and at least one freeze
that I think was acpi-cpufreq miss behaving. The k indexing facility was
also knocked on the head at that point it's taking to long to get out of
the way.

The pdf reader? Better than kpdf but try a huge early 1900's technical
book scan of xarchive. It's still far too slow.

The multimedia fiasco I mentioned earlier seems to have sorted itself
out. No idea how. Could be a reboot or a click on another 1 click install
that failed to complete. Usage so far is email, web and editors. Some
multimedia for testing and a bit of photo browsing. NTFS and closed
source virtual box next. I need the usb and file transfer in that.

John