List moderation?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Mar 8 03:10:55 GMT 2011

gene heskett posted on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 17:46:42 -0500 as excerpted:

> Is this list moderated?
>
> I am a member of this list, at the from: address above.  I am getting
> 5-20 msgs a day delivered to this email address.
>
> So, one more time, why do my posts disappear?

The list isn't moderated, but they /do/ discourage HTML posting as you
did, because many regulars, including me, believe there's only three types
of folks that normally use HTML, those who are trying to use it to hide or
trigger malware, those who are trying to dress up their spam, and those
AOLer types that simply don't know better and often don't care to know
(which are you? will you stop now that you know and you're being asked
to?).  If the message is legit, its content only needs plain text, no need
to dress it up with potentially security vulnerability triggering HTML.

They obviously don't filter it as the message got thru, but it might add
to a spam-filter score somewhere, causing the message to be judged more
likely spam and less likely ham.  Depending on the other message content...

Meanwhile, here on the gmane list2news archive, I see messages from a
"Gene Heskett" (initial caps) clear back as early as June, 2004.  That
Gene Heskett seems to have posted fairly regularly to this list thru April
of 2006, at which point there was a gap.  But a "gene heskett" (initial
small-letters) started posting in late August of 2010, with posts several
times a month thru January.  There's no listed posts for February, but one
from Sunday (yesterday) on kde-4.6.1 (no replies, yet) and then this one,
today.