How to set up Menu items such that if an instance is already running, the running instance is brought to the foreground?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 12:22:35 GMT 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 03:31,  <kde at mail.kde.org> wrote:
> If this is a general problem built into 4.xxxx KDE I will be going else where.
>
> I often have several spread sheets, pdf's and all sorts of things open in the
> way you describe ie. several instances.  Under 3.xxx any number of instances
> of kde programs are fine.  ( ;-) Other than mail for slightly understandable
> reasons )

No, KDE does not have a problem running multiple instances of
applications if that is what you want to do.

> Some browsers such a firefox are ok but opera will only fire up once.
>
> If KDE has dropped to this sort of level it really is a rather sad because if
> it's a general thing it's a sign of extremely badly conceived software
> organisation. Instances should run entirely independently of each other. Bit
> difficult with mail but not so hard on most other things.

The issue that I was referring to is a user issue: They know how to
"get to Skype" from the menu, and can't learn to check the taskbar and
systemtray if it is already running. We are talking about seniors who
don't know and won't learn what the task bar or system tray is, and
won't remember what the icons mean anyway. They have difficulty seeing
the screen even.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il