Showing keyboard layout flag and label

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Mar 1 05:32:54 GMT 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:22:09 +0200 as excerpted:

> In KDE 4.0 - 4.4 one could show the keyboard label over the keyboard
> flag.
> This is great for users who have multiple keyboard layouts in each
> language. For instance, I have a Hebrew layout and two English layouts:
> US and Dvorak. How can I add the label to be superimposed over the flag,
> as was possible in KDE 4.0 - 4.4?

I only use the one (US standard), so have little experience with the
settings applet or the tray indicator here, but just looking at it...

Now (4.6) the two choices (flag/label) are laid out using what's called
radio-button widget style.  The idea is that of the old analog tuner era
generally automotive car radio push-buttons -- you tuned using the knob
and then set one of the (generally 5-ish) push-button presets if you
decided it was favorite enough to justify being one of the limited
choices.

How it normally applies to computer GUIS is that just like those old tuner
presets, you can only have one "pushed" at a time.  The telltale style is
generally rounded indicators (as opposed to the squarish checkboxes, which
indicate more than one can be chosen at once).

Given that it's using radio-button (only one choice of several possible at
once) widgets now, and from what you say it allowed both at once before
(I'd guess with checkbox style choice widgets), it's very clear that the UI
developers intent is that ONLY one be possible, now (the change was
deliberate), so it's very likely impossible to set both thru the GUI -- if
it's not, it's a bug.

Thus, the only way to have both, /might/ be if you set both manually,
editing the config file itself to do so.  Even then, it may not work, and
if it does happen to work, it'll likely be unstable -- any chance viewing
of the keyboard options in kcontrol will likely reset it to one or the
other.

So if you want both, it's bug time.  Check and see if there's an existing
bug... there may well be one that was closed when they switched to radio-
button style that explains why they switched.  There may also well be a
bug already filed on changing it back.  If not, I'd file one, explaining
exactly as you did here why you want both, and maybe if you're lucky, with
4.7 or 4.8 or whatever, they'll change their minds again and switch back.
(Changes like that will almost certainly occur with the semi-yearly 4.x
releases as the monthly updates maintain string freeze for i18n/l10n
purposes, etc.  So you're unlikely to see that change in the 4.6 series
even if they change it in trunk immediately.)

Well, either that, or look at the code diffs and reverse the appropriate
patches in the ones you (or your distribution, if you can talk them into
it) build.  I don't claim to be a coder, but I do run Gentoo, so do build
from sources, and there's one patch I'm now carrying locally (a gwenview
zoom-step patch, 100% steps were wayyy too big for me, the patch I apply
makes it 10% steps...).  That one was fairly easy to find and change in
the code even if I don't claim to be able to write code or even read it in
many cases.  It's likely this one would be too, particularly since you
have it working one way before and a different way now, so you should be
able to simply check the appropriate diffs.

That's what I like about freedomware... that the code is available and I
can actually do stuff like that.  It's not like a car factory shipping
cars with the hoods welded shut, which is what closed source (or even
source available but without a license to change it) servantware amounts
to.