KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jun 30 20:57:21 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer posted on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:24:05 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Wednesday, 2011-06-29, Duncan wrote:
>
>> The interesting thing about the log found in that dir, here, is that it
>> lists the account migration, mostly pop3 but with one sysmail maildir
>> account, but *NOT* the actual mail migration.  Which matches my
>> experience, it auto-migrated the accounts but not the existing mail,
>> taking very little time to do so.
>
> Hmm, then only way no mention of local folders migration can happen if
> the path value read from config does not point to a directory.

Well, it did, and kmail(1) had been using it just fine, so /it/ could
obviously see it.

Which is why I suggested there might have been some obscure race
condition (four CPU cores and four-spindle-kernel-raid-1, with quite
heavy unrelated disk I/O at the same time, nice race condition territory
indeed!) that caused the config lookup not to return the dir, once you
disabused me of my notion that it only worked on the defaults as my
possible explanation of choice.

Whatever, maybe it was a cosmic ray hitting that bit of memory at the
wrong time! =:^\  Actually more likely than a cosmic ray (the memory /is/
ecc) might be some obscure kernel vfs bug or the like, given I was/am
running mainline linus git kernels, and was running something around 3.0-
rc3 at the time.  That's unlikely too as I've seen no other problems with
the kernel this cycle, but everything at this point is unlikely, so...

Probably just a one-off of some sort.  Those things happen.