KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Tue Jun 28 22:24:58 BST 2011

Hi there!

I did the big KDE 4.6.3 -> 4.6.4 upgrade. Along came the change to
KDEPIM 4.6. I feared for the worst, and indeed, it didn't work too well.

On the first login after the upgrade, Akonadi stuff was migrated, and
some errors happened. The notice boxes closed automatically before I
could make screenshots. Something with the migration of
'Standard-Kalender' to native backend failed, and some more stuff I do
not  remember.

The big problem was that KMail was no longer usable. I got this error:

  KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now.
  The error was:
  Failed to fetch the resource collection.

Until I closed this notice box, KMail was sort of usable, despite being
greyed out. But it crashed when doing things like saving mails as
drafts. As I did not have time to investigate this, I switched to
Thunderbird for a while. Which has its own problems, like not checking
my mail folders for new mail. So yesterday I spent some time to solve
this KMail issue.

When starting KMail manually, I got this in the output:

  kmail2(10305)/libakonadi
  Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult:
  Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_3" : "Unknown
  error. (Failed to fetch the resource collection.)"

I did not find this akonadi_maildir_resource_3 in the Akonadi Console.
So I grepped through .kde4/share/config/* , and found it as
DefaultResourceId in the file 'specialmailcollectionsrc' only. I deleted
the file, but it is being recreated identically when Akonadi is
restarted. I do not know what this is and where is comes from, but I
created a dummy Maildir resource (it was called
akonadi_maildir_resource_5), and put that into the
specialmailcollectionsrc file. Now KMail sort of worked. Well, I got
other errors, but at least it no longer crashed during startup.

First thing I wanted to do now is to enable KMail in Kontact again. But
when I try to open the Settings -> Configure Kontact menu, Kontact
crashes. I tried to report this, but DrKonqui was unable to log in
because of timeouts on bugs.kde.org I think. That crash is strange, some
days ago the settings menu worked, as I used it to remove KMail from
Kontact. Anyway, I edited kontactrc manually, and now KMail shows up in
Kontact again.

But there are more problems. KMail crashed when saving mails as drafts.
I also got warnings about invalid sent-mail, drafts and templates
folders. Indeed, those were empty. When setting them back as they were
before, I realized that I have more IMAP folders now. For example, one
identity had a folder 'Drafts' and 'Entwürfe' (German for 'drafts'), now
I also have '.maildir/Drafts' and '.maildir/Entwürfe'. The same goes for
'Sent' and 'Gesendet', now there's also '.maildir/Sent' and
'.maildir/Gesendet'.
Whatever. Easy to fix, but I do not think KMail should crash because of
missing folders.

One positive thing to mention: Akregator now asks if it should restore
the last session, so I did not lose this when Kontact crashed.

Oh, and for a while, whenever I sent a mail, I got a notification:
'<account>: Connection to server lost.' This also happens sometimes when
browsing mails, I advance to the next unread mail, get the message and
an empty message.

A more serious problem is that some IMAP account was missing completely.
I simply re-created the one I need, the other 1-2 accounts were for
testing anyway.

On the other hand, I have 'akonadi_localbookmarks_resource_0', showing
my Konqueror bookmark folders. Is this normal? Is there any use? I only
see the folders and the number of entries, but I do not see the entries
itself. Can I delete this somehow, or make KMail not display them?
Without removing the bookmarks from Konqueror.

And there is 'akonadi_maildir_resource_0', showing my local mails. I
probably can remove this completely, as the same stuff appears as
'KMail-Ordner' (KMail folder) already. Yes, seems this did no harm.

Then, my main IMAP account did not show all the mails. Some folders are
empty. Sometimes. Could this be because I have two IMAP accounts of the
same name, one configured to use disconnected mode? I removed this one,
and now, after restarting Kontact, it's better.

But I lost the mail I am just writing. I saved it as draft before
quitting Kontact, and now it is gone. Good thing I put it into the
clipboard first, just in case KMail would screw up and lose the mail.

It turned out that the drafts folder was empty again. I set it
accordingly, and finally all seems to be fine. I had to do some more
tuning, like defining my .signatures which were lost, but not much.

So, in the end, all seems to be working again. But it would have been
easier to start from scratch, define my three IMAP acocunts and
identities, and a local maildir.

	Wonko