KDE 4.6.2 screensaver module crashes with fglrx 8.850

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jun 20 22:05:48 BST 2011

Eric Griffith posted on Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:02:52 -0400 as excerpted:

> And the plot thickens lol. Turning off compositing allowed me to access
> the screensaver module (from fglrx) and set a screensaver. Rebooted to
> change something in windows, when I came back into KDE just out of a
> random whim I loaded up screensaver again, with compositing enabled, and
> it worked. If any of the KDE devs took a notice to this thread and could
> give a bit from information or suggestions other than testing out other
> versions of KDE (DL'ing some live CD's now) it seems that Screensaver
> crashes with fglrx if there isn't a screensaver set already, once it one
> is set though, everything's fine. So is there a bool value being used
> for whether one is or is not set? or an int that says which screensaver
> is set that starts off as null?
>
> Just taking shots in the dark since I know some C++ but I doubt enough
> to effectively debug this.

I thought about mentioning this in the previous reply, but forgot as I
was in the middle of one of the other suggestions when I thought about
it, and it was gone when I was ready for it. =:^(

Anyway...

Unlike gnome with its near-windows-registry-editor-like config editor,
kde's config remains plain text files -- tho with a runtime cache called
ksycoca (Kde SYstem COnfig CAche), a daemon (kded) that among other
things, is supposed to trigger cache updates when the text-based config
files get edited, and a command-line app, kbuildsycoca4, that can be used
to manually trigger a cache update or full rebuild.

So, it's possible to use a normal text editor to edit kde's config, with
most of the files being *.ini style (section titles in [], individual
setting=value lines grouped into the sections, blank lines for
readability and initial-# lines as comments).  Of course, it's best to do
so when the app in question (or all of kde) isn't running, so the app
picks up the new config when it starts and doesn't overwrite it with an
old one when it shuts down.

Most settings are under $KDEHOME, which defaults to ~/.kde (some distros
change that to ~/.kde4) if the environmental variable isn't set.  A few
are under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME or $XDG_DATA_HOME (by default ~/.config and
XDG_CONFIG_HOME/local/share, respectively).  For the $KDEHOME settings,
most are to be found under either $KDEHOME/share/apps or $KDEHOME/share/
config, apps consisting of per-app subdirs, config consisting of
individual app *rc files.

Knowing that, it's possible to look in those dirs and see if you find
anything that looks like the screensaver config.  (One can also use strace
-feopen applicationname app-params in a konsole window to get a trace
listing of all files the app tries to open, but there's a LOT to sort
thru, grep is your friend.  That's actually how I found the config and
apps dirs in the first place, back in the kde3 era. =:^)  Checking the
dirs just now, here, this is looks like the file you're looking for:

$KDEHOME/share/config/kscreensaverrc

It looks like you could simply edit that, provided of course that you had
a working config you could copy from another system, or ask for here, if
necessary.  It appears that the setting in question is the Saver= line.

But now that you have it working...

FWIW, the $KDEHOME directory has a corresponding system version, probably
set by the distro at build-time but it's /usr/share/config, here.  Many
apps have a system default *rc file there, but it appears kscreensaver
isn't one of them.  If it did and the default was set to something simply
like blank, may well have prevented your problem, since the setting
wouldn't have been null/optimized-out.