KDE 4.6.2 screensaver module crashes with fglrx 8.850

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 08:47:42 BST 2011

First post to the mailing list so work with me a bit on this haha.
After being a long time Gnome fan I decided to jump over to KDE as I
absolutely abhor the direction that Gnome-Shell and Unity are heading
in (yes im kubuntu). Everything was actually going fairly well, as I
would expect from an ubuntu install except for one small problem.
Every single time that I load the screensaver portion of KDE Control;
KDE Control crashes with a seg fault.

Doesn't matter if I go into Kickoff and search "Screensaver' or if I
go into System Settings > Display > Screensaver, as soon as
Screensaver tries to load, it crashes. Backtrace follows; I know it
mentions fglrx's libGL, but I'm posting it here because I don't know
if this is exposing a bug in the way FGLRX renders KDE, or in the way
that KDE requests an OpenGL call.

Application: KDE Control Module (kcmshell4), signal: Segmentation fault

[KCrash Handler]

#7 0xb2aaaae8 in XF86DRIQueryExtension () from /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1

#8 0xb5fc7ae6 in _XFreeReplyData (dpy=0xb75ff7ee, force=<value
optimized out>) at ../../src/xcb_io.c:498

Backtrace stopped: previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

If anyone can help me out, I'd love it. I'm using the latest available
packages from the xorg-swat ppa, and the kubuntu-backports ppa