Konsole: split view show the same screen twice

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:58:42 BST 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 18:24, Stephen Dowdy <sdowdy at ucar.edu> wrote:
> Dotan,
>
> If i understand you correctly, this works fine for me on KDE 4.4.5 (Debian Squeeze).
>
> In a konsole open two tabs
> Do Split View (Shift-Ctrl-T, i think)
>
> Then in one split pane, click one of the konsole tabs, in the other split
> pane click the other tab.  You should now be seeing a konsole split in two
> with the top pane showing one tab/session and the bottom pane showing the
> other.
>
> They should be independent.

I can confirm that each split section has all the tabs inside itself,
quite the opposite of the expected split-view inside a tab behavior of
every other tabbed or split application that I am familiar with.

I have a hard time believing that this is the intended behaviour.

> So, the two primary uses for split view that i see are:
>
> 1)  viewing separate sections of a single context at the same time
>    (where both/all split panes are viewing the same tab/session
> 2)  comparative assessment of output in multiple tab/sessions
>    (e.g. each tab is an ssh session to a different machine.
>
> In that latter mode you can select:
>   Edit->Copy Input To->All Tabs in Current Window
> to duplicate what you type into those multiple ssh sessions to
> see what the command results in in all those sessions simultaneously.
> (this is probably only scalable to 3-6 sessions depending on your
> monitor size).  (though in a quick test of this, it seemed buggy,
> not actually working the first time, and if i selected it in BOTH
> tabs, it was duplicating in the other (e.g. 'ls' in one tab resulted
> in 'llss' in the other.  i got it working, but it seems a bit "iffy")
>
> btw, 'pdsh' from LLNL in "interactive mode" is a MUCH better tool
> for that kind of thing, though each command doesn't retain context
> of previous commands, e.g. "cd".  And pdsh | dshbak -c is even
> better still for scalability of comparative output as it collects
> output that is identical and gathers it into a single entry with
> all the hosts that provided that response to the requested command.
> (great for comparing OS patch revs, version of software, etc)
>

> --stephen

I think that I had better just learn screen...

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il