Kaffeine and playing files from off the local network

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 00:35:14 BST 2011

I'm a bit happier now having torn more hair out. I've switched to using mount.cifs for the connection to the nas. Problem though on suse 11.4 it has been crippled and a user needs root password to enter their nas password. Crazy. Fixed by replacing it with the version from 11.2. Not sure how widespread this problem is. Few details in case others have problems with dolphin's microsoft network connections. CIFS is effectively a kernel provided disk format type as per ext3 etc. Mount.cifs is a helper. It doesn't need samba which also has the problems I have experienced.

I suid mount.cifs and to gain some security set the owner group to nas. This means that only specified users can use it and that they have to have the password to actually access the nas. Best place for mount.cifs syntax is the samba site. ;-) A bash/kde login script is still to do but I now do have a mount that works.

End result is all apps I have tried work as they would be expected to work on the local drive even Kaffeine. No downloading before loading either. Also no need to use kde autoloader which results in 10 secs + of dead desktop following log in as it searches for servers and mounts them.

This entire area every where seems to have been worked on by india rubber man sticking patches all over the place to fix supposed leaks. Don't know if devs read anything on here or take any notice but if kde really wants to allow easy connection to a microsoft network drive they should pick up mount.cifs and put a k in front of it. Maybe security could do with being a touch better than what I have achieved which in real terms is pretty good. In principle a user could try and mount any cifs set up on the network - if they know the correct access password. Only one problem found. Repeated mounts continue to make connections to the same place. Still works but umount.cifs seem strange as it takes just as many to unmount it. Have to laugh. I have bug listed that but all bugs seem to go bottom priority. Also bugged the kde sticking plasters in the same area - same there I suspect. Haven't bothered bug listing samba problems. It does work in various fashions
 for some but not on my straight repo installation.

All interesting really as cifs seems to have been implemented in the kernel for use on diskless work stations and things like nas's. Truly transparent network file access.

John